Hortonworks

There are newer employer reviews for Hortonworks

Territory Account Manager

Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hortonworks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

For a young company I was surprised with how well they have their act together. All the tools and systems are not only in place but are far better than what I was used to coming over from Oracle. Sale comp is very good and there are reps here making once in a lifetime type money.

The Big Data & Hadoop space is growing fast and this company is in the top 3 if not paced to take over the leader spot within the next 3-6 months.

Cons

It's hard to come up with any yet, I'm sure there are some challenges to come but so far everything has been great.

25 Other Employee Reviews for Hortonworks (View Most Recent)

Cutting edge technology, everything open source, great people and culture

Current Employee - Member Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Member Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hortonworks full-time

Pros

Nothing proprietary. Whatever you write goes back to open source. There is no where you can get to work with so many open source committers/contributors including several of the inventors of Hadoop and YARN. Although not a small company in overall size, it is still a fairly small engineering org in HQ. The teams working on several different open source projects are very small, so you get a chance to make a big impact.

Pre-IPO company stocks give you a lot of hope and enthusiasm to make this company successful. 100% insurance premium for family, unlimited vacation, lunch, snacks, valet parking, on-site massage, regular team events and company picnic - all these have become very common in almost all startup companies and they are here too :)

Cons

The senior executive or management team seems to be quite aloof. Surprisingly we don't get to see them at all, specifically the CEO.

Senior management needs to be more engaged with the employees and provide timely company updates on progress, roadmap and financials as well. They need to improve on transparency. After all, we are all part of the ship - success or failure. I have seen before that the mere appearance of the CEO once in a while in the office floor creates an adrenaline rush in all employees to do their best. Think how effective the transparency will be.

Hortonworks Response

Aug 18, 2014Manager of Recruiting

Thank you for your comments and we are striving to slow down a bit. The executive leadership is adding up frequent flyer miles at a rapid pace! We hope you were able to attend and enjoy the company ... More

A Company In Flux = Opportunity or Challenge?

I have been working at Hortonworks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Joining pre-IPO means an amazing opportunity if you get stock options. Lots of growth, lots of opportunity to work on exciting projects. Company is willing to make early investments in infrastructure to support massive growth rather than wait until all processes broken to do so.

Cons

Early employees seem overly political, so I assume there's some negative history. It's a fast-growing start-up, so be prepared to work some extra hours.

Company is growing rapidly though, so the overly politicized culture has opportunity to change if management decides to make that a priority.

There are newer employer reviews for Hortonworks