Hospital Corporation of America

www.hcahealthcare.com
  www.hcahealthcare.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hospital Corporation of America

Great exposure to alot of different aspects of healthcare.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Nashville, TN
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America

Pros

Incredible opportunities are afforded at HCA. There are great resources, so you can learn as much as you want to.

Cons

There is a certain amount of bureaucracy within each job function, which is one of the down sides to working for such a large company.

Even though HCA is such a great company, the privatization of the company in 2006 was generally in the best interest of management and their compensation, not necessarily the benefit of the entire organization.

330 Other Employee Reviews for Hospital Corporation of America (View Most Recent)

Over Staffed with incompetent lifers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America

Pros

Compensation: they tend to pay very well.

Cons

Lack of knowledge by senior management

Focus on game changing strategies instead of making the PowerPoint look good for the next MOR!

Made Computerworld's "Best Places to Work in IT" - Really?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Hospital Corporation of America

Pros

Great people, pay and benefits are good, and there seem to be ample opportunities to move around within the company so you aren't locked-in to a specific job/role. The main campus is nice enough, and the company is heavily involved in the community. Many of the managers I know appear to take a genuine interest in their employees.

Cons

Long hours, and very stressful at times. As with many companies, employees are being asked to "do more with less". A lot of work is now being outsourced, though it has led to only a small number of layoffs so far. I've heard the IT area characterized as a "sweat shop", though I think this varies greatly depending on the area in which you work. In my opinion, they do a very poor job prioritizing the project portfolio and everything seems to be "equally important" which leads to way too many projects going on at the same time, everyone competing for constrained resources, etc. For the past 2 years, HCA has made Computerworld's "Best Places to Work in IT". Not sure how. Even with these cons, I'm satisfied overall with my job at HCA. Still, I doubt I'll be here a year from now.

For IT&S - do a better job prioritizing work - you're overworking and demoralizing employees and expecting too much from many.

There are newer employer reviews for Hospital Corporation of America