Hospital Shared Services

www.hss-us.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Hospital Shared Services

Beware of oddball clients, and unsupportive administration...

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Placerville, CA
Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Placerville, CA

I worked at Hospital Shared Services as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Good training. Good opportunity to network during yearly trips to company headquarters in Denver, Colorado. Requires IAHSS certification.

Cons

Typical contract security. Do not kid yourself and believe that you are valued as an employee, no matter what your assistant director tells you. You are a warm body to fill in a schedule slot...nothing more. The clients (hospitals) are flighty, myopic, and often just plain ignorant. You will ALWAYS be subject to the client's whims. Often, the only experience with private security that these administrative shut-ins will have will be what they see on television. They have absolutely no concept of the scope and authority of security guards. Many believe security guards are equivalent to law enforcement officers. Others believe security guards are nothing more than Wal-Mart greeters.

Insofar as treatment from the clients is concerned, you will be treated like ambulatory furniture, at best, and subservient servants at worst. There is a tremendous amount of back-stabbing and 'cliques'. Due to the 'small town atmosphere' of the place, expect a lot of 'small town' politics and psychological in-breeding. That is, everyone knows everyone else and when poor employees are dealt with according to policy, expect the gossip wires to be crackling with information. On more than one occasion, I was interrogated by various hospital staff after issuing justifiable discipline to, or terminating one of my employees. I have personally seen employees terminated because the client did not warm up to them, even though they were excellent employees.

The administration is marginally supportive, as long as the client is positive towards you. If ever the client decides you are 'not a good fit', you will be discarded regardless of quality/quantity of work. Though, to be fair, this is often the atmosphere on job sites in the contract security industry. Always remember, HR is not there for you. HR is there to protect the company...ALWAYS.

There is nothing I can add. The management is concerned only about the revenue stream. Individuals making suggestions, or constructive criticisms are largely ignored, or discharged.

14 Other Employee Reviews for Hospital Shared Services (View Most Recent)

Its good for a pay check not much more!

Current Employee - Security Officer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hospital Shared Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly hospital staff and ever changing work environment.

Cons

Flex officers get no respect from HSS management. The people in scheduling could careless about you and will call at all hours of the night asking for you to come in with no notice. You will also be expected to search soiled and bug infested people and often time with not be offered any kind of ppe.

Start treating your flex officers better and hire some new people in scheduling, politeness and understanding go a long way when your asking an employee to come in with no notice at 2am.

It is a paycheck and that is about it.

I have been working at Hospital Shared Services

Pros

Steady work and a steady paycheck when employed at a facility. (not float) The pay is comparable to other security jobs at about $12 an hour. Benefits and vacation time are available for full-time employees.

Cons

The benefits are cut down every year but they charge you the same. No recognition for good work. Mandatory overtime if your relief doesn't show up, no exceptions. Vacation is hard to use. I requested a week of vacation six months in advance and was denied. Management is chosen by the "good ol boy" philosophy, not by who deserves it. They will fire you in a heartbeat for anything they want.

Treat your employees like they are as important as we know that we are to you. You do not exist without the hard work of people like me so give us a break sometimes or just send out an email that says thank you for your hard work and we recognize your efforts.

There are newer employer reviews for Hospital Shared Services