There are newer employer reviews for HostGator.com

Great place to work if you like to learn and want to work

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you want to work, and want to learn its a great place to work. Most bad reviews on here are from "JR Admins" and "Former JR Admins" alot of them don't tend to make it. First of all I will say I did not start out as a JR Admin, I took the initial tests and got in a an admin because I have some decent linux server experience.The complaints that you have to get in the right crowd are somewhat true, however if you do your job right, and do it well, its easy to get in the right crowd because everyone just wants to work together, it makes the day go by easier for everyone.
I do have to say some sick days would be nice, I dont want to goto the doctor to get a note for a cold or short lasting flu, I have done it so far but going out when sick is a pain.
There are plety of opportunities to train and move up are there if you choose to take them, and if you choose to do the work to get ahead. If you think helping people solve different issues time after time every day is boring and monotonous, then this job is just not for you.
Management is great, they listen to suggestions, however its unrealistic to think they can accomodate every suggestion. People say the pay sucks, yeah I want to make 90k a year as well, but its unrealistic to think that as a jr admin or level 1 admin that you will see more than what you are now. The only way to make more is to work hard and get ahead, like anywhere else. Oh and JR admins, quit complaining about the pay. Alot of you work at hostgator because your good at working with computers, working on the web, and fixing your grandmas pc, not because your good at working on servers. If you were you would be an admin. I would advise jr admins that if they want to do more, and make more to read and learn more about linux then try for the admin position.

Cons

cant really think of much, sometimes the ac is too cold, the food sucks sometimes, but hey its free food.

maybe provide some sick days

198 Other Employee Reviews for HostGator.com (View Most Recent)

So many promises, most are misleading.

Current Employee - Junior Billing Administrative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Junior Billing Administrative in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, easy to schedule time off, works around college. Lots of interesting people working here. Offers both part and full time. Plenty of overtime offered.

Cons

Management only cares about numbers, not about you. Supervisors will make you promises that are never fulfilled. Most supervisors will ignore you when you need help, and if you walk past their desk they are just sitting and chatting in a group or on weekends watching tv.

When an employee is told something, it should be done.

I have been with this company for about a year now. In this year, I have had 4 different direct supervisors. During my interview I was told a 4 day a week, 10 hour a day schedule would be permitted, and one supervisor after another kept saying it had to wait for the next review. First I was told after training, then after my 3 month, then at my 6 months. It was not until I went over my supervisors head to inquire about it that I found that the request was never even submitted, and HR no longer allows these schedules.

During the 3 month review, I was made a promise of a sizable raise at 6 months as long as I continued to reach quota. I have averaged over 10/hr since (quota is 7/hr), and have completed all training, reached JBA status, and yet at 9 months, still no raise.

I have been here for 9 months, during which due to Supervisors scheduling team appreciation on days I am scheduled off, have missed over half of them. Try to schedule team appreciations on different schedules so that all employees can take part.

To be more fair, I do not think it is the management, but the supervisors that need to be improved.

Not a bad place

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    The ability to learn more as you go
    Catered Lunches
    Unique talent pool. Anywhere from prior hosting employees to developers to hobbyists

Cons

Pay is extremely sub-standard which results in extremely high turnover
    Emphasis is on quota/ratings, not actual solves or customer experience.
    Current quota system encourages bad behavior

Pay your talent. I have personally seen some excellent co-workers go work for that other-company-that-shalt-not-be-named simply over the pay difference. If you have someone kicking butt, pay them to kick butt.

Re-evaluate the current quota system. Give supervisors the ability to 'override' poor ratings due to company wide policies.

There are newer employer reviews for HostGator.com