There are newer employer reviews for HostGator.com

While there is much room for improvement, this is a starter job only.

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are interested in teaching Linux Administrators good technique, and developing skills that would help a Sysadmin. The environment is as it should be for a tech/hosting company, and if you are lucky enough to get in to a good team you will enjoy yourself.

Cons

Management is poor, decisions are not thought through, and pay/hours will be terrible unless you are part of the old boys network or in the know.

Advice to Management

Stop making rash decisions, and plan things out in advance. We don't need policies that apply to one person spread throughout the entire company. Improve the pay and the work conditions, the office is one of the most disgusting places I have ever worked.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great if you know how to deal with customers

Former Employee - Junior Administrative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Administrative in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food (and vegan options) Game room and computer room with gaming rigs A hour break can be divided to 3 breaks Booze fridays a nice ice cream whenever

Cons

You have to do phone calls only for the first 90 days of employment Constant QA agents asking you if you need help and what not The Break Q is awful (e.g. you need to wait 30+mins for a 30 minute break) Quota You learn little or nothing in training

Advice to Management

Do something about your rehire considerations Allow chat agents options of doing phone calls only for the first 90 days

2. A good place to start if you want to get industry experience - but don't plan on sticking around.

Current Employee - Junior Administrative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Junior Administrative in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule (pretty much) Most people are friendly and helpful. You will learn a lot about how servers and web hosting works. Free lunch. Easy work once you get the hang of it. Free massages at your desk while you work. Sweet.

Cons

Can be stressful at times. I'm not a huge fan of the whole "no dress code" thing. I certainly don't think it should be a strict dress code but there is a guy who wears his pajamas and house slippers to work. That's just a bit overboard IMO. (that's just a minor gripe though) Sometimes it's hard to get help when you need it. The training program really is a joke. Read a computer screen for 8 hours a day for two weeks, then take a test. Also, one of the trainers in Houston really needs to grow up and learn to talk to people without being condescending. VERY unprofessional. Can be hard to meet quota some days. Some of the expectations for quota are unclear or at least they haven't been explained to me. Angry customers will rate you negatively even though you do everything that you can and it still affects your pay. The pay really is terrible. Unemployment was paying more. The free lunch is hit and miss. Some days it's actually pretty good. Other days... no. But, hey, it's free so there really isn't anything to complain about there. Very little interaction with supervisors. (though to be fair, they are a little overworked and don't have time for hand holding)

Advice to Management

High turnover should be a red flag for any manager. Something isn't right when people don't want or just don't value their jobs. Consider raising pay. If not across the board, then at least consider a clearly defined path whereby employee can increase their compensation by making themselves more valuable to the company. As it stands, I think the only way to increase pay is through promotion. I may be wrong, but the fact that I don't know is a problem in itself. My number one suggestion would be to completely overhaul the training program. Or, rather GET a training program. It's clear that whoever designed this program has never trained anyone on anything, ever. No one learns by reading from a computer all day with no reinforcement. Also, hire some actual trainers. Just because someone knows a lot about web hosting, doesn't mean they should be a trainer. Real training takes technique, multiple approaches, patience and someone who cares about what they are teaching.