There are newer employer reviews for HostGator.com

While there is much room for improvement, this is a starter job only.

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are interested in teaching Linux Administrators good technique, and developing skills that would help a Sysadmin. The environment is as it should be for a tech/hosting company, and if you are lucky enough to get in to a good team you will enjoy yourself.

Cons

Management is poor, decisions are not thought through, and pay/hours will be terrible unless you are part of the old boys network or in the know.

Advice to Management

Stop making rash decisions, and plan things out in advance. We don't need policies that apply to one person spread throughout the entire company. Improve the pay and the work conditions, the office is one of the most disgusting places I have ever worked.

reviews filtered by

So many promises, most are misleading.

Current Employee - Junior Billing Administrative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Junior Billing Administrative in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, easy to schedule time off, works around college. Lots of interesting people working here. Offers both part and full time. Plenty of overtime offered.

Cons

Management only cares about numbers, not about you. Supervisors will make you promises that are never fulfilled. Most supervisors will ignore you when you need help, and if you walk past their desk they are just sitting and chatting in a group or on weekends watching tv.

Advice to Management

When an employee is told something, it should be done.

I have been with this company for about a year now. In this year, I have had 4 different direct supervisors. During my interview I was told a 4 day a week, 10 hour a day schedule would be permitted, and one supervisor after another kept saying it had to wait for the next review. First I was told after training, then after my 3 month, then at my 6 months. It was not until I went over my supervisors head to inquire about it that I found that the request was never even submitted, and HR no longer allows these schedules.

During the 3 month review, I was made a promise of a sizable raise at 6 months as long as I continued to reach quota. I have averaged over 10/hr since (quota is 7/hr), and have completed all training, reached JBA status, and yet at 9 months, still no raise.

I have been here for 9 months, during which due to Supervisors scheduling team appreciation on days I am scheduled off, have missed over half of them. Try to schedule team appreciations on different schedules so that all employees can take part.

To be more fair, I do not think it is the management, but the supervisors that need to be improved.

Not a bad place

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    The ability to learn more as you go
    Catered Lunches
    Unique talent pool. Anywhere from prior hosting employees to developers to hobbyists

Cons

Pay is extremely sub-standard which results in extremely high turnover
    Emphasis is on quota/ratings, not actual solves or customer experience.
    Current quota system encourages bad behavior

Advice to Management

Pay your talent. I have personally seen some excellent co-workers go work for that other-company-that-shalt-not-be-named simply over the pay difference. If you have someone kicking butt, pay them to kick butt.

Re-evaluate the current quota system. Give supervisors the ability to 'override' poor ratings due to company wide policies.