Very Nice Company to Work For

Current Employee - Support in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Support in Houston, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch Free Snacks Plenty of Coffee Great equipment. Friendly Atmosphere

Cons

Training is available, but often times it is too busy to get it. Pay is a little lower than average for this industry.

Advice to Management

Setup a better training sysytem Setup a grievance system.

Other Employee Reviews for HostGator.com

1. Mislead from the very beginning...

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a free "meal" for each shift that rivals prison food...they way that the ticket response statistics are structured and the raw amount of tickets, etc. which come in on a daily basis there's a very good possibility to make decent bonuses for being above your quota every pay period. The pro side of hourly based salary is whenever you clock out you leave your work at work you'll never be called into work in the middle of the night or on your day off which has its advantages.

Cons

Most everything, the flexible schedules can become not so flexible whenever you need them to be flexible. Mislead concerning the salary, they had me to believe that I was to be a salaried employee but I came to learn that I was hourly instead; at the time I thought it to be a con but it could be either I suppose.

Advice to Management

Need to get a idea of the moral of the company, be an employee for a day or a week and see things from your workers point of view. The lunch is supposed to be a perk but the company is so cheap they don't want to spend enough money to get any decent food. Allowing employees to take a normal lunch and compensate them via they're pay checks might be a better idea.

2. Almost two years now

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX

I have been working at HostGator.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wide variety of subjects to learn with education classes on each. Plenty of places to ask for questions about the technology, company specific setups and utilities, and of course the freedom to use Google and your brain to find a solution. Lots of bonuses like massages, free lunches, benefits and flexible hours. There are a variety of specialized areas and they do well on encouraging you to find where you want to go and providing tools to help. They listen to feed back very well, and very quickly. I asked about flow charts so I could better understand the overall view of how the systems work together and by the end of the week there were posters around the office with a few different flow charts on the different parts. There are also a variety of internal use sites, such as the employee suggestion box. Each post is available to the company, with the option to post anonymously. Votes can then be cast or changed at anytime, with comments back and forth with other employees as well as management. More so that this, they actually use this to improve the company, inside and out.

Cons

They base a lot of your worth on customer feedback, but do not work to ensure that it is fair. To specify, such as when an overseas customer who believes that a 1 out of 10 is the best rating you can give, and says so in their email, you still get docked with a bad rating. This then hurts bonuses, and is only mentioned because this has not changed since I've worked there. Almost two years now.

Advice to Management

Honestly, just keep it up. You guys rock.