HostGator was a Great Opportunity, for which I am grateful.

Former Employee - Senior Linux Systems Administrator  in  Austin, TX
Former Employee - Senior Linux Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was able to work my way up from entry level and very little Linux knowledge to a management position in the most The Linux Administration department over three years--so I would say the biggest pro is the ability to grow there. They encourage you to learn, and promotion is attainable if you work for it, and are willing to meet management expectations. Also free food and stuff.

Cons

Its changing, not as drastically as some other reviews make it out to be, but its a publicly traded company now, so its just different than it use to be. There are some benefits to that, but there are also some draw backs. One drawback is the fact its slower (but still a real possibility) to be promoted. It use to be a smoother process, that much is for sure. Also, the general atmosphere is more corporate than is use to be, and policy has become frustratingly strict in some cases.

Try and recapture some of the atmosphere of how it use to be, while embracing the positive changes, and casting aside those that create new problems.

One other point I want to make is that I have no opinion of Mr.Farrar because I interacted with him very little, however, the other Officer level members of management I have interacted with are people I respect very much.

Other Reviews for HostGator.com

Good benefits and policies

Former Employee - Junior Systems Administrator  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free catered meal each shift; very relaxed environment; browse the Internet freely when you don't have active customer contact; 1, 2 or 3 breaks "as you want"

Cons

Stress, little to no overtime, only an hour of break total. 90 day waiting period before you can get any sort of real access to help customers. "Internal Support" knows less than much of the Tier1 staff.

Give employees more latitude to help customers, earlier on in their time at HG.

Useful for the experience in breaking into the industry

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Used to be a great place to work that valued its employees, the people, excluding most of upper management, there are a couple good ones, are awesome to each other, great for a learning experience to move on to any other company that holds value in its employees.

Cons

Upper management cares about advancing their own careers, no value shown to long time employees, pay is terrible compared to industry standards, attitude towards employees is terrible to say the least, pressure put on everyone is extreme, EIG CEO lied about outsourcing to India to pay $200 a month for the jobs done here in the USA should be illegal! Harassment towards women goes unchecked, the good ole boys club is alive and well! Hostgator CEO and COO are sell outs that say they care and follow up with nothing!

Promote based on performance not on who is your buddy! Listen to your employees you are nothing without them!

There are newer employer reviews for HostGator.com.

Worked for HostGator.com? Contribute to the Community!