There are newer employer reviews for HostGator.com

HostGator was a Great Opportunity, for which I am grateful.

Former Employee - Senior Linux Systems Administrator  in  Austin, TX
Former Employee - Senior Linux Systems Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was able to work my way up from entry level and very little Linux knowledge to a management position in the most The Linux Administration department over three years--so I would say the biggest pro is the ability to grow there. They encourage you to learn, and promotion is attainable if you work for it, and are willing to meet management expectations. Also free food and stuff.

Cons

Its changing, not as drastically as some other reviews make it out to be, but its a publicly traded company now, so its just different than it use to be. There are some benefits to that, but there are also some draw backs. One drawback is the fact its slower (but still a real possibility) to be promoted. It use to be a smoother process, that much is for sure. Also, the general atmosphere is more corporate than is use to be, and policy has become frustratingly strict in some cases.

Try and recapture some of the atmosphere of how it use to be, while embracing the positive changes, and casting aside those that create new problems.

One other point I want to make is that I have no opinion of Mr.Farrar because I interacted with him very little, however, the other Officer level members of management I have interacted with are people I respect very much.

189 Other Employee Reviews for HostGator.com (View Most Recent)

Constant issues bad customers.

I worked at HostGator.com

Pros

free food and beer and games downstairs

Cons

annoying customers, crazy lay off system.

get better.

From Best to Worst

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Austin, TX

I worked at HostGator.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only thing good about the place is the free lunch if the food doesn't make you sick. There used to be other great perks, but they just don't seem to care any longer.

Cons

Low pay, company values seem to have shifted toward anything to make people miserable. Morale in the office is so low, people are leaving in droves. Paid time off is a joke unless you work for a year straight. Labor is lucky to accrue a day per month.

Stop firing all the good people and keeping the mediocre. Stop focusing on the all mighty dollar and focus on your employees who made you successful.

There are newer employer reviews for HostGator.com

Worked for HostGator.com? Contribute to the Community!