There are newer employer reviews for HostGator.com

Good opportunity, good people, good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

-Great place to learn and grow. -Good team of friendly and knowledgeable people. -If you're here to work, opportunities for advancement can be plentiful. -Amenities, Free food, Gym, Break room. I really love it here. I've been here for a little while now and HostGator has really been a great place for me to learn the craft and meet some really awesome people. This company is full of some very very smart people, and it's great knowing that regardless of what problem I may be having, there is someone here that can figure it out. I am surrounded by a fantastic team that I truly enjoy spending time with and I feel very fortunate to have been given an opportunity to succeed here. I have worked very hard to get there, but I am extremely grateful for the chance to do so. Work is work, and if given the choice the majority of us would chose to avoid it. But I can truthfully say that the days I'm looking forward to work far outweigh the days I dread it.

Cons

Hostgator has problems just like any other company. Anyone who would expect any company to be perfect isn't living in reality or hasn't had very many jobs. The biggest most glaring problems I see are 'Small Company' policy and decisions during a transition to a 'Large Company' corporate environment. This causes hiccups in the day to day operations, however with the recent (and constant) growth of the company I feel this is to be expected and will most likely go away with time and experience. This is a relatively young industry, and hasn't really been around long enough for anyone to have 100% figured out how to do it right.

Advice to Management

Considering the ridiculous and uncontrollable growth of this industry in recent years it can be really easy to get ahead of ourselves. So step back and take stock from time to time. See how the current projects are doing, acknowledge if they have problems, and apply that knowledge to future projects before moving forward and cementing an idea in stone. Mistakes in management are inevitable, as everyone is human, but the best thing to do is to learn from said mistakes.

Other Employee Reviews for HostGator.com

Best Job I have had

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX

Pros

We get free food everyday. Its not the best food, but its great considering the value(FREE). We get the same menu everyweek, so we always know what we are eating, and can bring our own food if we want. Very laid back when it comes to personal communication inside the company. Awesome arcade room with tons of free very good games. State of the art work out room, which people do use. Management is very smart, and will either answer or find an answer to any question. They give everyone a chance to work here, if you don't have the skills to be an admin, they will let you be a chat tech, and then train you to be an Admin. Having good Admins makes them money, so they do what they need to train you, and make you worth even more. They pay very, very well. They do not care about background, or work history so much, as long as you can do your job and not try and abuse the system. Lazy people will not make it here. If you are looking for a job where you can sit around all day getting paid to surf facebook, go find something for minimum wage.

Cons

Same food everyweek(but hey its free). Sometimes you have to deal with an irate customer.

Advice to Management

Get better at weeding out idiots. There was one in my training class, and he is still here. Takes up a lot of my time having to go behind them and fix their mistakes.

Wild, wonderful but brief ride

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator I in Austin, TX

Pros

Lots of amenities and food provided, tons of company perks and a vast group of knowledgeable people.

Cons

All management seems to be married to one another and there is a very tight knit friends circle for all the senior folks, most of which are not over the age of 30 yet.

Advice to Management

Ditch the crazy CEO, provide Linux training and all should be well after that. ( CEOs who actively "monitor" their employees on top of walking around and verbally expressing "disgust" about the quality of employees does not provide a positive image of management for those working in the centers. )