Hostway

www.hostway.com
  www.hostway.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hostway

Learn a lot, but get out after getting a bit of experience

Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hostway

Pros

You can learn a lot about open source technologies, linux, web hosting, and the internet.

They had some interesting development practices when I started. You could automatically sign up for a new development database and it would be provisioned for you. They had a framework that could analyze a mysql db and write data access code automatically, etc. I'm not sure if that stuff is still around tho.

Cons

They only paid employees once a month, at the end of the month. It got monotonous, and I felt I spent a lot of time integrating other people's open source work into hostway's collective - I would have rather gotten a chance to code more. Also, they wanted to roll out a new platform but set ridiculous arbitrary internal deadlines to meet it.

Treat your employees with more respect. Listen to them, everyone I met there was competent and cared about their job.

46 Other Employee Reviews for Hostway (View Most Recent)

Hosway- fun work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

I worked at Hostway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well i started my career with this company. One of things that refreshing is the fun and informal work environment. Although they're not exactly among paymasters in the industry but the scope of growth is vast. All in all a new organization which is fun and at the same time offers good learning

Cons

There is stress on few projects than others. This also somewhat limits your scope of development based on your project. There is a lot to learn from but you would have to be a self starter and there won't be extensive training that happens here. You learn what you wanna learn if i have to put it.

Please do look towards procesifying the initial training as well as product briefing. Also there should be more flexibility for horizontal shift

Good stepping stone, but hard to keep progressing

I worked at Hostway full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Depending on where you are located, good/friendly co-workers. You can learn as much as you would like to.

Cons

Bad employee morale throughout the company. Upper management doesn't have a cohesive, unified vision. A lot of inter-departmental politics. Caliber of sales & marketing staff is extremely low.

Caring & listening to employees will go a long way. Be results-oriented. Best to not keep VPs around that continue to miss their objectives on a regular basis.

There are newer employer reviews for Hostway