Hot Topic

www.hottopic.com
  www.hottopic.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic

Music, pop cluture, records, fashion, fun!

Former Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager in Miami, FL
Former Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Hot Topic

Pros

great job that suited my personal ethics and style. I was a happy and willing brand ambassador.

Cons

My store location was closed down quite abruptly. My DM was not informed either which meant There was no opportunity for my relacation to another location within the company. Overall, my particular situation was handled with little to no tact or concern for maintaining a superb store staff and management team.

realize that your employees are human beings with families, mortgages, and lives. We are not some number. The company has started to forget this as Lisa Harper took control of the company. In my store's articular case, she willfully closed down a very good performing store with no plan of moving locations, which may effectively lose the company some of its clientele in the area.

293 Other Employee Reviews for Hot Topic (View Most Recent)

Good for younger kids.

Current Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Hot Topic

Pros

*40% discount on clothing, 20% on accessories and others.
    *Over all easy going environment.
    *Good, alternative music
    *Able to dress and look pretty much however you want.

Cons

*Empty promises of growth - (especially depending on your store) Employees have been with the company for 2 years+ and are still sales associates getting paid $8.45.
    *Hours are given out entirely based on a corrupt system of getting internet sales.
    *Typical sales associate gets about 11-13 hours a week or less.
    *Pressure to make sales on the kiosk is very difficult.
    *They don't like to fire people in my experience, they just give the people they don't like less and less hours until they quit.
    *High amount of gossip throughout the company.

This company has really gone down the drain and is entirely money based now. Now that they realize they aren't making enough money in stores they have gone to making sales via a kiosk in the store. This company is good for a kid in high school who is just looking for some extra money in their pockets. If you are an adult 18+, this company is not for you. With extremely low pay, low amount of hours, outrageous new sales system based on online sales this company needs to focus back on making the store a great place to work.

Great for part time position and music lovers!

Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Hot Topic

Pros

Non-stop music choice, alternative crowd and customers you can relate to and learn about new genres of music. Excellent employee discounts once in a awhile. Team recognition and individual praise was given for surpassing set sales, loss prevention, or employee of the month.

Cons

Very little hours are given when you first start out like 4 hours a week and you gradually build to up to 30-38 hrs per week but never OT.

Initiate more selling incentives for sales associates to participate in. It really boosts morale and the drive to sell more!

There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic