There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic

The place to be if you are a music fanatic

Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Great Falls, MT
Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Great Falls, MT

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of exposure to different types of music, as well as sneak peaks to new albums about to be released.

The employee discount can really help you save a load off of merchandise, and the store frequents sends freebies to its employees.

Cons

Customers come in with certain store expectations - being a goth scene, carrying hipster music, etc. Not always the nicest.

Sometimes requires overnight work, especially when moving merchandise, doing mark downs, and packaging old product.

Advice to Management

Be more open with your employees. They want to help.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Honestly - Doesn't live up to the hype (Sales associate)

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greendale, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greendale, WI

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Coworkers were really inviting and fun (at first)
    + My store manager was a really great person (though absent minded sometimes)
    + No dress code
    + Some of the promos were fun, and when we used to have bands in the store was really cool
    + Dressing up for holidays!
    + The actual job of the sales associate isn't very difficult
    + 40% discount (if you can find anything worth buying..)
    + Floor sets and late-night planagrams are really fun!

Cons

+ A lot of the merchandise selected by the company is usually behind the trends, and then very overpriced, which makes selling it a bit difficult.
    + The pressure on sales associates to up-sell and boost online sales increases daily with little to no reward for doing so.
    + Raises are based on store performance, not individual performance. Same with hours. I worked for them for a year, made employee of the month five times and never got a raise.
    + I was yanked around about moving up as a keyholder (even though I was already in the training for the position) because none of our management knew who was being moved to where! Management is overly relaxed and disorganized 80% of the time. Seriously.
    + For the passed few years the target audience was 14-18 year olds; this obviously drew in even younger tweens and a lot of moms with small children in-tow. I can't tell you how many times I felt like a babysitter to these trashy shoppers..
    + Favouritism is part of the job; managers are often friends with some sales associates outside of work which causes a lot of issues in some cases.
    + Drama is also part of the job; if you're over 19 years old, prepare to be irritated out of your mind by most of your lazy minor coworkers.
    + Upper management was non-existent in our store, except for our DM. He would come for visits only half of the times he was supposed to and mostly get in the way of our usual routine.

Advice to Management

+ See all of my points above; improve the benefits of your workers! We all know that sales associates are a dime a dozen, but your high turn-over rates aren't a good indicator of a strong company!
    + You give yourselves a little too much credit for being a "fun, open-minded" workplace.

2. It was really nice to work there, and it and this is was really nice to work there, and it was really nice to work there

Current Employee - Cashier in Lynn, MA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Lynn, MA

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It had some, nice clothing.

Cons

so i just trying to see a certain messageBad managers, they had attitude.