Hot Topic

There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic

Amazing

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Best thing about Hot Topic, you never have to sell a credit card. And you never will, that's not their market. Coming from a place the crammed credit cards down our throats and customers, let's just say it was nothing short of amazing!

Cons

Typical retail cons. You work most weekends, rotating schedule. Constantly setting and resetting to give the store a fresh look. Dealing with weirdos. It's all just the nature of the retail beast. :)

309 Other Employee Reviews for Hot Topic (View Most Recent)

Sexual Harassment, Favoritism, Hostile work environment, Hard to move up, Lack of support

Current Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discount is 40%, partime managemt and fulltime managemet get benifits including medical, Dental and vision. Great customer base, casual dress code, great music.

Cons

Definitely takes tooooooo long to move up the ladder. There is favoritism and behind the scenes fraternization. Promotions therefore not based on merit. Sexual conduct and harassment not protected by HR. Pay is Minimal, often work harder than your superiors without gratitude. If you are unliked You are "harassed and picked on until you quit, this has happened several times to co workers in my store. There is no protection for you if there is an ethical situation.

Promote based on Merit and hard work not on the cuteness, bribes or dating. Use your 5 basic management skills yourselves. Practice what you preach and if you have a "sick" store look at the store manger and replace if necessary. Sexual harassment is not ok on any level, and niether is lying, stealing. HR needs to take their employees seriously if they have a issue with harassment or rumors. Do not dismiss serious flaws in lower management or allow bullying of any kind.

Easy for sales associates, sucks for management

Former Employee - Keyholder
    Former Employee - Keyholder

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (more than a year)

Pros

For sales associates: your only responsibilities are folding t-shirts and hanging out with customers. Easiest job. For management: making (very minimal) ordering decisions is cool. We got in some sweet vinyl based on our ordering. For all: HT offers some cool things such as concert ticket reimbursement (although, I never received my check after being approved for it) and scholarships.

Cons

For management: you're asked to do a lot of things that are unreasonable in a short amount of time. Expect micromanaging from your DM. There are salary caps but don't expect to see it in writing anywhere. Some SOPs are so ridiculous. Fraternization is not allowed and is strictly enforced. HT tries to make it seem like your job is valuable and you're not replaceable, until you make the right person mad. HR is of no help when it comes to bad work situations.

There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic