There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic

It was fun, management was easy to work with

Current Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Woodbridge, VA
Current Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting people come in everyday

Cons

Retail is harder then you think

Advice to Management

n/a

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

What happened?

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Before I start, keep in mind that if I were doing this from a sales associate (entry level/floor staff) position it would be 110% different. For management there is very little to say here. There is the obvious, which is the dress code, all other reviews have touched this. Management gets a bonus for making numbers (I'll get back to that later on). Customers CAN be nice, big emphasis on CAN.

Cons

Okay, lots to go over here. First of all Hot Topic took away so many things in the name of saving money that it is just sad. They started with no more trip to California for SMs for the meeting, then EVERYTHING in the store went up $0.50 in price and all the tags looked cheaper too, and within the last year or so they cut a ton of hours from all stores. Leaving a lot of stores to only have 1 person on staff for most of the day. It is for sure a game of favorites for promotions, even at SM level. My last SM was AWFUL at her job and pushed me to quit (she did this to EVERY manager she worked with) and after I leave I find out she gets promoted to higher volume store! WHAT!? I find the reason this happened is that she has known the current DM for a long time now and he gives her every good position that opens up in the district. Remember that bonus program I mentioned earlier? IT SUCKS. They offer it as an incentive to make numbers for the month, but if you are any position lower than SM its completely not worth it. My main problem was they expected more and more while offering their employees less and less. Plus on a personal note, the advertising campaigns have been getting filthy (check out the valentine's day photos from last year promo if you don't believe me).

Advice to Management

The people in your stores are much smarter than you think they are. I heard about your "HT love" FB page to try and get people to like their jobs again and I find that sad. If you really want people to like their job, STOP MAKING THEIR WORK LIFE HELL!

2. The place to be if you are a music fanatic

Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Great Falls, MT
    Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Great Falls, MT

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of exposure to different types of music, as well as sneak peaks to new albums about to be released. The employee discount can really help you save a load off of merchandise, and the store frequents sends freebies to its employees.

Cons

Customers come in with certain store expectations - being a goth scene, carrying hipster music, etc. Not always the nicest. Sometimes requires overnight work, especially when moving merchandise, doing mark downs, and packaging old product.

Advice to Management

Be more open with your employees. They want to help.