Hot Topic

www.hottopic.com
  www.hottopic.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic

Huge workload, but great benefits

Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The insurance options are low-priced with great coverage. The company matches 50% of 401K contributions. There are great opportunityes for advancement. The bonyus program scales based on performance and store volume.

Cons

The workload is huge and there's not enough time to get everything done without going over allotted payroll hours. It's not a job you can just forget about once you're off work esprecially if you're a store manager- expect to field phone calls from employees and higher-ups even from home.

294 Other Employee Reviews for Hot Topic (View Most Recent)

It was fun, management was easy to work with

Current Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting people come in everyday

Cons

Retail is harder then you think

n/a

What happened?

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Before I start, keep in mind that if I were doing this from a sales associate (entry level/floor staff) position it would be 110% different. For management there is very little to say here. There is the obvious, which is the dress code, all other reviews have touched this. Management gets a bonus for making numbers (I'll get back to that later on). Customers CAN be nice, big emphasis on CAN.

Cons

Okay, lots to go over here. First of all Hot Topic took away so many things in the name of saving money that it is just sad. They started with no more trip to California for SMs for the meeting, then EVERYTHING in the store went up $0.50 in price and all the tags looked cheaper too, and within the last year or so they cut a ton of hours from all stores. Leaving a lot of stores to only have 1 person on staff for most of the day. It is for sure a game of favorites for promotions, even at SM level. My last SM was AWFUL at her job and pushed me to quit (she did this to EVERY manager she worked with) and after I leave I find out she gets promoted to higher volume store! WHAT!? I find the reason this happened is that she has known the current DM for a long time now and he gives her every good position that opens up in the district. Remember that bonus program I mentioned earlier? IT SUCKS. They offer it as an incentive to make numbers for the month, but if you are any position lower than SM its completely not worth it. My main problem was they expected more and more while offering their employees less and less. Plus on a personal note, the advertising campaigns have been getting filthy (check out the valentine's day photos from last year promo if you don't believe me).

The people in your stores are much smarter than you think they are. I heard about your "HT love" FB page to try and get people to like their jobs again and I find that sad. If you really want people to like their job, STOP MAKING THEIR WORK LIFE HELL!

There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic