Pretty cool company culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in City of Industry, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in City of Industry, CA

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most likely this is a company focus on life/work balance. It is pretty developmental as well. Learned quite a bit during my 5 years with company. Many HQ activities are fun! They offer you a drink in an afternoon (based on fun activities). The coolest company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Many changes in the management since 2010, which could be good and bad. During the turnaround time, all support functions were cut back quite a bit. If you are in those functional areas, you really don't have much career opportunities for advancement at all.

Other Employee Reviews for Hot Topic

1. Great culture, interesting work, NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE

Former Employee - Internet in City of Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Internet in City of Industry, CA

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hot Topic has a great company culture. It is relaxed, casual and incredibly into music. There are TVs all over the office playing a variety of music all day and bands stop by frequently to play private concerts for employees. They operate on a 9/80 work schedule meaning you work 80 hours in 9 days, so you get every other Friday off.

Cons

They under-staff positions, you end up doing the work of at least two people. I would come into work at 8AM, leave at 7PM and still have a couple of hours of work to do every night at home. Requests for an additional employee were denied.

Advice to Management

Give more resources to the internet department! They are hard workers and generate just as much revenue as the brick and mortar counterparts. You should also re-examine some of the people in your leadership positions. When I was there, I feel there were quite a few people being paid to do nothing but play on Facebook all day.

Good work environment-not a lot of hours

Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Ontario, CA

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good music to listen to while you work, great coworkers, 40% discount on merchandise, not hard work

Cons

Don't give sales associates many hours. don't expect more than 20 hours a week unless you are a manager.

Advice to Management

some employees who are not students would like to work more hours a week and have to take other jobs just to make ends meet. so giving up to 30 hours would be nice