Hot Topic
www.hottopic.com City of Industry, CA 5000+ Employees

Great culture

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hot Topic full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFreedom to express yourself, employees are expected and encouraged to be passionate about music, fashion, and pop culture, lots of creative freedom, clear communication all throughout the company, employees are encouraged to share ideas and feedback with buyers and analysts.

ConsWith the company constantly trying to figure out who the core customer is and what they want, changes are sudden and sometimes drastic. Last minute promo changes and other workload additions happen all the time. There are always a million things to do and payroll is barely there. In smaller volume stores, most weekdays have one or two person coverage. Backrooms are tiny and so is the sales floor so putting out new product is like Tetris.

Advice to Senior ManagementGiving store teams time to plan ahead for workload changes would make a world of difference.

liked it very much and recommend as a place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hot Topic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: good place to work and lots of fun Cons: lots of turnover the past 2 years Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Company going down the drain

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hot Topic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: 40% discount on clothing. You can listen to music you like. No dress code. If you work hard, you get promoted.. at… Cons: The company is cheap and doesn't pay their employees well. The new CEO is running the company into the ground; cuts are being made everywhere,… Advice to Senior Management: Suck it, I'm glad I left when I did. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Hot Topic.

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hot Topic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hot Topic CEO Lisa Harper. All reviews posted anonymously by Hot Topic employees.