Hot Topic
www.hottopic.com City of Industry, CA 5000+ Employees

Terrible district manager + low pay

Part-Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Hot Topic part-time for more than a year

ProsI enjoyed being at the front of pop-culture and also having access to the latest in music and some fashion trends (not all)

ConsTerrible wages.. My district manager lied to me about what I would be paid when I got promoted. Policy seemed to change weekly and it was a lot of work just for general upkeep of the store on top of petty little "visual merchandising" activities throughout the week. Overall I would never suggest anyone to work there. You get stuck at a certain level like I did. There was NO room for promotion whatsoever. So many people have been doing the same job for a few years with incredible dedication only to realize that they aren't going anywhere after a few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet involved in the day to day life of your stores. Perform actual reviews of District Managers. From what I hear some are good, and for a period of time I had a good DM. Then I got put back with the one who lied about pay, played favorites, and was disrespectful to all of his employees.

Changed

Buyer (Current Employee)
City of Industry, CA

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Used to more culture-based Lots of hot girls dressed provacitvely in… Cons: New managment with less emphasis on culture Not what you'd expect… Advice to Senior Management: You will never be a market leader in teen fashion.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

4 years of service and all I got for it was this lousy T-Shirt

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Hot Topic part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: It used to be an amazing place to work. … Cons: Used to be the key word. Hot Topic tries to make a big deal about how much their employees love working for them and… Advice to Senior Management: Look real closely at the people you have running your… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Hot Topic.

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hot Topic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hot Topic CEO Lisa Harper. All reviews posted anonymously by Hot Topic employees.