Hot Topic

www.hottopic.com

Terrible district manager + low pay

Former Employee - Part-Time Assistant Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Part-Time Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

I enjoyed being at the front of pop-culture and also having access to the latest in music and some fashion trends (not all)

Cons

Terrible wages.. My district manager lied to me about what I would be paid when I got promoted. Policy seemed to change weekly and it was a lot of work just for general upkeep of the store on top of petty little "visual merchandising" activities throughout the week. Overall I would never suggest anyone to work there. You get stuck at a certain level like I did. There was NO room for promotion whatsoever. So many people have been doing the same job for a few years with incredible dedication only to realize that they aren't going anywhere after a few years.

Get involved in the day to day life of your stores. Perform actual reviews of District Managers. From what I hear some are good, and for a period of time I had a good DM. Then I got put back with the one who lied about pay, played favorites, and was disrespectful to all of his employees.

Other reviews for Hot Topic

Changed

Current Employee - Buyer  in  City of Industry, CA
    Current Employee - Buyer in City of Industry, CA

Pros

Used to more culture-based
    Lots of hot girls dressed provacitvely in the office

Cons

New managment with less emphasis on culture
    Not what you'd expect if coming from the stores

You will never be a market leader in teen fashion. Too niche.

4 years of service and all I got for it was this lousy T-Shirt

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tallahassee, FL

Pros

It used to be an amazing place to work. Body mods are fine and the environment was relaxed and fun.

Cons

Used to be the key word. Hot Topic tries to make a big deal about how much their employees love working for them and how great they treat them. This is all BOGUS they really could not care at all. After our SM left the DM decided to promote one of his personal friends from Jacksonville to the position. Our Key and ASM quit so it was up to me to train them. After they were trained and up to speed I was terminated under false pretense by the SM. Had never received a write up or any kind of disciplinary warning. Had never even been late for work.

Look real closely at the people you have running your stores and districts

There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic.

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!