There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic

Just another corporate job - the rock and roll is gone.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Industry, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Industry, CA

I worked at Hot Topic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Discount Awesome coworkers Constant Change The Office is cool looking The music they play is good Benefit package is competitive On site gym and cafe

Cons

Constant Change Same Corporate BS as everywhere else Late nights and weekends (24/7/365 job) systems are old and outdated

Advice to Management

Make a plan and stick to it. As someone who has to execute your ideas. It is hard to hit a moving target. Don't take status quo for an answer. Just because this is the way we have always done things doesn't mean this is they way we should always do things. Change is a good thing. You need to change to be competitive. Don't be scared.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Pretty meh.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The really fantastic discount. Some of the people that work there are also fantastic. I even befriended some of my old customers! I also learned how to deal with last minute changes and people who sweat the really small stuff.

Cons

The pay. If you're in high school it's not bad, but anything beyond that it's way too low. Lots of favoritism. The specific store I was at had about 4-5 different management changes (key holder through SM) in the 3 years I was there. Some of the district managers I encountered relied on bullying and humiliating people to get work "done". LOTS OF DRAMA. If you enjoy being in high school even into adulthood you'd love it here.

Advice to Management

You claim that you care about employees, but you don't. Really invest in the people who love their jobs. Figure out why the turnover rate is so high (hint--it's you, not them most of the time). Go back to letting stores pick the music too. You're a company that embraces differences, yet forces all of them to be the same.

2. Fun Job, Just don't expect them to take your carrer seriously

Former Employee - Key Holder in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-40% discount -Generally great co-workers. -Simple floor sets -GREAT music selection -Shipment was generally easy to process -Hardly any push selling required -Easy

Cons

-Upper management does not take your carrer seriously. -Training used to consist of different modules that could fill a huge binder, but now its a little book, you really lose valuable information which makes customer service suffer. -Markdowns were usually all over the place, and further markdowns were a waste of time and payroll. -Not enough focus on customer service.

Advice to Management

Focus on the customers, stop having stores PRINT signange on the store printer and then hanging in the windows. The industry is starting to notice and its one of the most trashy things a company can do. DIY is cool if its done right, but printed signs looks cheap.