Pretty meh.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The really fantastic discount. Some of the people that work there are also fantastic. I even befriended some of my old customers! I also learned how to deal with last minute changes and people who sweat the really small stuff.

Cons

The pay. If you're in high school it's not bad, but anything beyond that it's way too low. Lots of favoritism. The specific store I was at had about 4-5 different management changes (key holder through SM) in the 3 years I was there. Some of the district managers I encountered relied on bullying and humiliating people to get work "done". LOTS OF DRAMA. If you enjoy being in high school even into adulthood you'd love it here.

Advice to Management

You claim that you care about employees, but you don't. Really invest in the people who love their jobs. Figure out why the turnover rate is so high (hint--it's you, not them most of the time). Go back to letting stores pick the music too. You're a company that embraces differences, yet forces all of them to be the same.

Other Employee Reviews for Hot Topic

1. Fun Job, Just don't expect them to take your carrer seriously

Former Employee - Key Holder in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-40% discount -Generally great co-workers. -Simple floor sets -GREAT music selection -Shipment was generally easy to process -Hardly any push selling required -Easy

Cons

-Upper management does not take your carrer seriously. -Training used to consist of different modules that could fill a huge binder, but now its a little book, you really lose valuable information which makes customer service suffer. -Markdowns were usually all over the place, and further markdowns were a waste of time and payroll. -Not enough focus on customer service.

Advice to Management

Focus on the customers, stop having stores PRINT signange on the store printer and then hanging in the windows. The industry is starting to notice and its one of the most trashy things a company can do. DIY is cool if its done right, but printed signs looks cheap.

2. Decent first job

Former Employee - Key Holder in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

pretty simple job at all positions, get to listen mostly to the kind of music you like (assuming you like metal) great discount, will easily work around a personal schedule (band practice and shows ect), doesn't take long to get promoted if your'e good

Cons

low pay but that's average, pretty much only way in is starting seasonal and working up, the style of the store has changed a lot in the last few years and isn't what i used to be

Advice to Management

store managers, keep your cool when dealing with exchanges and returns, the little mall rats and their parents don't know any better.