There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic

Fun but crap pay!

Former Employee - Key Holder
Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Hot Topic full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get an excellent discount, so this comes in handy when they want you to promote the items in the store. Fun music.

Cons

They try to start you at the very bottom of minimum wage. The managers are sneaky. Hard to get a promotion.

Pay more! Management decides how much they want to start you off at but they choose the bare bottom! Also, management in the store I worked at constantly stole and when it was reported the DM said to mind your own business! Terrible terrible practices at this company.

262 Other Employee Reviews for Hot Topic (View Most Recent)

A love of music, culture and people.

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked here for over five years now. I have seen some great and terrible company changes. I love my staff and my customers. We try to make our store a place that everyone can call home. I get to meet some really crazy people and learn about music and pop culture. I try to work with my staff so we all get an understanding for one another and always offer an open door. Being small staffed we can really have one on one sessions and bring a little advise to each other. My co workers are my best friends and team mates!

Cons

Our payroll is REALLY low. We are a small store and it becomes hard to properly train everyone when we don't have the time. We are expected to throw the noobies out there and if they don't get it, get rid of them. While we have never used this process, I know other managers who have. It's just not ideal and not fair. We only have one full time employee so it's tough luck for everyone else when it comes to hours. We try to make it as fair as possible. Pay is not that great either. Newly hired are started out on minimum wage. Being there 5 years I'm only making about $3 more than when I started, which was not a lot to begin with.

Let the stores that are doing well, manage the business. We know what works for our community so let us do it. No more last minute promo changes. No more exceptions for the crappy customer who comes to start a fight so they can get their way. We have a return policy for a reason. No more secret shoppers. No more key items! I love this company and I only want to see it grow and become a part of people's lives. I wish we had more incentives and drives to help our employees feel appreciated. Payroll is a big part of it. More full time opportunities and pay increase.

Amazing

Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time for more than a year

Pros

Everything!!! I love being challenged and I continue to grow with a higher business acumen every day. The merchandise is great and I am so excited about the license product we have.

Cons

None that I can think of

I am reading some negative reviews on here and I am just beside myself. This company has given me so many great things to be proud of. Those complaining are just disgruntled or were fired. How could you not love this job? My district manager is invested in me and treats me like s human being. Where he is tough, he is also respectful and cares about me. I couldn't ask for a better boss. I absolutely love my Store Manager. She gives me the tools I need to get the job done. She is and will be amazing for my growth. My store is upbeat and we know how to get it done!!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!