There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic

A love of music, culture and people.

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked here for over five years now. I have seen some great and terrible company changes. I love my staff and my customers. We try to make our store a place that everyone can call home. I get to meet some really crazy people and learn about music and pop culture. I try to work with my staff so we all get an understanding for one another and always offer an open door. Being small staffed we can really have one on one sessions and bring a little advise to each other. My co workers are my best friends and team mates!

Cons

Our payroll is REALLY low. We are a small store and it becomes hard to properly train everyone when we don't have the time. We are expected to throw the noobies out there and if they don't get it, get rid of them. While we have never used this process, I know other managers who have. It's just not ideal and not fair. We only have one full time employee so it's tough luck for everyone else when it comes to hours. We try to make it as fair as possible. Pay is not that great either. Newly hired are started out on minimum wage. Being there 5 years I'm only making about $3 more than when I started, which was not a lot to begin with.

Let the stores that are doing well, manage the business. We know what works for our community so let us do it. No more last minute promo changes. No more exceptions for the crappy customer who comes to start a fight so they can get their way. We have a return policy for a reason. No more secret shoppers. No more key items! I love this company and I only want to see it grow and become a part of people's lives. I wish we had more incentives and drives to help our employees feel appreciated. Payroll is a big part of it. More full time opportunities and pay increase.

262 Other Employee Reviews for Hot Topic (View Most Recent)

Great retailer to work for

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Culture, flexible schedule, music oriented, overall company is great at developing staff for career paths within company

Cons

Pay for expectations is low, depending on who your boss is, your development path may not be important

Good company, always changing

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No dress code
    Discount
    Set 40 hours
    Always something to do
    Ability to hire staff to create strong team without micro managing from higher ups
    Interactive HQ as far as LP and buyers
    Great communication with DM

Cons

Constant changes to promos
    Not enough hours most of the time
    Company can't figure out which direction to go with product: ever.
    Can't express opinions about music or fashion or religion
    Focus changed from all about culture to making money whatever way we can
    Signage is printed off in store; not aesthetically pleasing
    Can't apprehend shoplifters but get documented if high shrink

Work a day or two in store. Learn how long some things take, and deal with the customers.

There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!