www.hottopic.com
  www.hottopic.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic

Competent and worth the time

Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Miami, FL
Former Employee - Hot Topic Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent management where I was at. Easy to talk to, nice to get along with. Definitely get a nice discount for clothing; easy to upgrade your wardrobe in a few paychecks.

Cons

Customers can be jerks. Sometimes, managing customer requests means running to and back from a manager for assistance. Managing items in the back or front can get tiring and annoying. Young kids (middle school to early high school) are both the most frequent spenders and most annoying experience you'll have in retail.

Change the way some things are handled. Give employee's a bit more control in terms of managing customers and life becomes easier for everyone.

294 Other Employee Reviews for Hot Topic (View Most Recent)

I worked at Hot Topic

Pros

Fun work environment. Good coworkers

Cons

Customers are annoying. Lots of push for deals.

Very Disappointed

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company offers very good benefits to its Full Time employees. Additionally, it appears that the home office infrastructure is improving. Unfortunately, this is where it ends.

Cons

No incentive to keep talent and extremely poor ethics and accountability at upper management levels. I'm currently a DM for this brand; however, it is the same experience in each brand. Disorganized Store Operations, Unethical treatment of employees and an HR team that has little training or compassion, Long hours for store management with no regard for their work-life balance, Poor Field guidance, Older DMs and RDs are extremely resistant to change and are not receptive to outside talent, training programs do not exist in reality, and store systems are archaic which creates chaos for store teams. Overall, I would not recommend this company.

I can recall an RD commenting about Hot Topic's "poor reputation" in the field of retail and that person puzzling over why that could be.... Well, I can answer this question. A company is only as good as its people. While there are some amazing folks working here... honestly, the store teams are simply awesome!!!! The Regional Talent and DM talent is all over the place with not much guidance. I have never seen such unprofessional behavior from a group of upper managers. VPs that are really glorified Regionals, Regionals that are really retail dinosaurs that want to 'do it the old way... the way it's always been done", and internally promoted DMs that would not cut it as store managers in most other retailers. So, why is your talent fleeing? Why can you not retain people or improve your image in the industry? Look inward. Prior to raising the bar at the stores, perhaps you need to start with your current upper management. Perhaps provide an employee friendly Human Resource Team that actually cares about ethics, morality, and employee well-being versus protecting the very causes of the issues. It is sad, but I do not see improvement. I absolutely love all of my store teams and truly care about them; however, I'm in final interviews with a reputable organization and will not think twice when I receive an offer. This was one of the biggest mistakes that I ever made in my retail career. I really do want to see this company succeed, but I can only see failure based upon its current management culture of fear, intimidation, and poor ethics. Very, very sad.

There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic