Hot Topic
www.hottopic.com City of Industry, CA 5000+ Employees

Seen better days... or... Another corporate giant loses its way.

Hot Topic Keyholder (Former Employee)
Silver Spring, MD

ProsWear what you want; listen to awesome music @ work; decent non-pay benefits (if you know they exist) Generally you get to work with some pretty cool people and an awesome customer base. Good employee discounts: 40% for general merch and 20 % on music and electronics.

ConsBad pay, don't expect to make more than your state's minimum wage during your first year with the company unless you work at an extremely high volume or over-performing store. As it has grown the company has lost sight of its core values in terms of corporate philosophy, charitable outreach, and in the way it treats its employees. Policy has change from one of mentoring and developing dedicated employees from within to one where employees are more akin to dispensable slave workers. Most problems are not at the store level but stem from District and Regional management and up to the disarray of HQ. Programs like supporting local artists and in-store performances have become a thing of the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a company, if you loose sight of what makes you unique you may find you lose your customers as well.

Hot Topic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hot Topic

Pros: Fun work environment. Good coworkers Cons: Customers are annoying. Lots of push for deals. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Very Disappointed

District Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time for more than a year

Pros: The company offers very good benefits to its Full Time employees. Additionally, it… Cons: No incentive to keep talent and extremely poor ethics and accountability at upper management levels. I'm currently a DM for this brand; however, it… Advice to Senior Management: I can recall an RD commenting about Hot Topic's "poor reputation" in the field of retail and that person puzzling over why that could be....… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Hot Topic.

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hot Topic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hot Topic CEO Lisa Harper. All reviews posted anonymously by Hot Topic employees.