There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic

Seen better days... or... Another corporate giant loses its way.

Former Employee - Hot Topic Keyholder  in  Silver Spring, MD
Former Employee - Hot Topic Keyholder in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Hot Topic part-time for more than a year

Pros

Wear what you want; listen to awesome music @ work; decent non-pay benefits (if you know they exist) Generally you get to work with some pretty cool people and an awesome customer base. Good employee discounts: 40% for general merch and 20 % on music and electronics.

Cons

Bad pay, don't expect to make more than your state's minimum wage during your first year with the company unless you work at an extremely high volume or over-performing store. As it has grown the company has lost sight of its core values in terms of corporate philosophy, charitable outreach, and in the way it treats its employees. Policy has change from one of mentoring and developing dedicated employees from within to one where employees are more akin to dispensable slave workers. Most problems are not at the store level but stem from District and Regional management and up to the disarray of HQ. Programs like supporting local artists and in-store performances have become a thing of the past.

As a company, if you loose sight of what makes you unique you may find you lose your customers as well.

262 Other Employee Reviews for Hot Topic (View Most Recent)

good job in the mall

I worked at Hot Topic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

music and cool merchandise to sell

Cons

too many pogs, low payroll

be ready to move alot of stuff.

Amazing

Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time for more than a year

Pros

Everything!!! I love being challenged and I continue to grow with a higher business acumen every day. The merchandise is great and I am so excited about the license product we have.

Cons

None that I can think of

I am reading some negative reviews on here and I am just beside myself. This company has given me so many great things to be proud of. Those complaining are just disgruntled or were fired. How could you not love this job? My district manager is invested in me and treats me like s human being. Where he is tough, he is also respectful and cares about me. I couldn't ask for a better boss. I absolutely love my Store Manager. She gives me the tools I need to get the job done. She is and will be amazing for my growth. My store is upbeat and we know how to get it done!!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!