Hot Topic

www.hottopic.com
  www.hottopic.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic

Used to be the best job I ever had

Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Store Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun work environment, great team (in store)awesome discounts and benefits, wear what you want kind of dress code, visible tattoos are ok.

Cons

Pay is awful for what is required of you. Payroll hours are always at a minimum, do more with less philosophy. There is no company standard HQ will tell you to do one thing and upper management (regional and district managers) will tell you to do another. Very disorganized company. Poor communication between store level upper management and HQ. Everything always feels very last minute and everything is always rushed because of that. No room for promotion.

You have to spend money to make money, give the store the tools they need to get the job done in example the payroll and the people to get it done. Give stores more opportunity to plan, make sure everything is not last minute. Follow up with your upper management and make sure they are following the company standard set by HQ. I think if our CEO was ever on that undercover boss show,she wouldn't finish it or go home every night and cry.

293 Other Employee Reviews for Hot Topic (View Most Recent)

Part-Time Assistant Store Manager (3yrs)

I have been working at Hot Topic

Pros

If you get a good team (as in, management who sticks up for one another and shares work tasks with employees who respect you and do their work) it's a pretty awesome environment. Corporate often surprises us with extra discount weekends and contests where your store can win free stuff. Corporate is also very attentive to the store needs, with one-on-one communication when you need it. Being a member of management is not too bad, unless you don't have precious experience as a KH or SA. Paid holidays for anyone that isn't full time and bonus' for making plan.

Cons

Managers use a lot of favoritism. If you're not on their good side, you'll hardly move up at all. I've worked at 3 different stores and they are all managed differently in terms of which SOP they follow and which they ignore. Same thing with LP stuff. It should be made so that all stores manage the same way. Beware of newly promoted store managers. These guys are bat-shit crazy, always trying to prove they are beyond expectations (they're always average) and they'll suck up to the DM / put you on blast for messing up small stuff. DM's are either WAY too involved and micro-manage, or they're not on top of their stores and get mad when we don't meet our KPI's. Also, you end up having to get your hours cut during selling hours just because you took a little longer to finish tasking during non-selling hours. Not only is this cruel to employees who seek to task correctly, but it also affects business since there is less coverage.

Recognize that we need more payroll to finish tasks that you make us complete over the weekends/high traffic weeks (xmas). It's ridiculous that our hours are the same the week before xmas as a random week in September. DM's, please be considerate of how much your managers do for you. It's not fair to only give us 3 hours with 1 employee on a 6 hour POG and expect us to have it done by Monday. It's also unfair to make us call employees off of their shifts because managers needed extra time to finish tasks that you didn't give us proper payroll for.

It was fun in the beginning but it lost its shimmer quick.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent discount, flexible scheduling, flexible dress code. I liked being able to wear whatever I felt like to work without worrying about it.

Cons

Kept hiring too many employees, not enough hours, values any less than full-time employees very little. Basically, you are a pawn to make management money. Any sort of bonus is for management only, you work your ass off and get nothing.

I wish you valued your current employees instead of trying to hire new people constantly and then take hours from everyone else. When I started, I got decent hours. Now, hours are scarce and they are talking about keeping more people. They say they are appreciative for what we do but then they go off and hire new people and take our hours away? What does that really say? I am a current employee but I am definitely looking to find a new job.

There are newer employer reviews for Hot Topic