Hotels.com

www.hotels.com

Management was a very mixed bag

Pros

This job had great pay and it was a fun place to work in terms of coworkers.

Cons

Management was not good. My direct boss had her favorites and rewarded them with plum assignments and promotions. People that weren't the favorites or didn't brown-nose were fired without good reason (I saw this happen several times). I was lectured on taking time off for a family member's funeral, which was probably illegal and at best, not in line with the company's policies.

Other reviews for Hotels.com

Fast-paced work environment where people are sometimes forgotten

Pros

This is a fast-paced work environment. A new idea might get discussed in the morning that leads to a change proposal. That proposal might be approved by lunch time and the wheels are turning to make it happen by the end of the day. The company is well known and respected in business circles, and there seems to be a lot growth potential.

Cons

Sometimes, the fast pace is difficult to handle. Though decisions can be made very quickly, they are sometimes not well thought through. Most of the mid-level managers are in their early 30's which means they are energetic and enthusiastic. But that also means that they lack deep business experience and a long-term perspective. It is almost like the company operates for today with no consideration for yesterday and little worry about the long-term future. I also felt like there was little concern for people. There was a sort of "take it or leave it" attitude toward employees. So, if you didn't like it, you could leave. There were no employee morale building programs and there was absolutely no concern about keeping employees satisfied so they would stay for the long term.

Build a long term vision for the company. Treat employees as assets that you invest in for the long term. Develop top-notch employees and give them a reason to feel invested in the future of the company. Watch out for hot shot managers and VPs who are just trying to show off and deliver one time solutions to help build their resumes.

Fun, innovative, fast paced and great offices!

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Hotels.com in Dallas is a great place to work. It is a fast paced, fun, energetic, collaborative environment. I think the last two reviews written were by a few disgruntled employees on the search team, who were recently (more or less) pushed out of the org. Hotels.com isn't perfect, but I'd say it's a great place to work. Also, there are reviews that seem to be left here from the call center team in Springfield, which is a different organization than the hotels.com team in Dallas, so I'd read those separately. The pros:

- Great new office space; open lay-out, travel themed conference rooms and decor, games such as ping-pong, x-box etc, free drinks...
    - Free perks- not sure why someone wrote these are going away in 2014. I haven't heard anything about that. We have free weekly lunches, in-office happy hours, free fruit, free drinks etc. I guess one con is that sometimes it does feel like people start to take this for granted and will complain if we don't have lunch one week for whatever reason. That can be annoying to be around.
    - It's a laid back environment- you can wear pretty much whatever you want and people keep flexible hours if they need to come in early or leave early, there is no standard work-day.
    - Of course, working in the online travel space is fun. It is fast moving and, if you like travel, the perfect place to combine something you like to do personally, with work.
    - Leadership is open and seeks feedback and input from others. They try hard to build a collaborative environment by planning team events, team building etc.
    - Generally the team is passionate, hard-working and fun. There are a few people who are downers but overall, it's a good team to work with.

Cons

Like I said, Hotels.com is not perfect but having worked at many other places, I think it's not far off. Cons are:

- Much of the overall leadership is out of the London office, which means people in Dallas can sometimes feel cut out of the decision making process or uninformed when decisions are made
    - The area around the office (highways) are always under construction! Makes traffic bad.
    - Not enough technology (such as video conferencing) for an office who has to constantly interact with other global offices

Move more quickly on building a strong team; handful of lazy/negative people hanging around can sometimes bring down the general environment. Continue to be transparent in communications and foster a positive team environment. Help us stay connected to the London office. Make career paths for those in Dallas more clear.

There are newer employer reviews for Hotels.com.

Worked for Hotels.com? Contribute to the Community!