There are newer employer reviews for Hotwire

Used to be great, but times are changing

Current Employee - Unix Systems Administrator  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Unix Systems Administrator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The people are mostly great
- Nice office
- Great benefits
- Passion for travel
- Lots of opportunity to learn new technologies

Cons

- No more work from home
- New president that doesn't seem to understand the bay area job market
- Layoffs during a time of running extremely lean already
- Lots of good people leaving
- Average pay is below market rate
- The "fun" environment of the past has become a much more stressful and negative environment

Quit the "crack the whip" attitude now or we're going to lose all our best employees. Bring back the fun, flexibility, passion, and atmosphere that made the company so successful in the past.

108 Other Employee Reviews for Hotwire (View Most Recent)

It's just ok

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great work / life balance. Reasonable hours
    - Great benefits like commuter reimbursement, health and fitness allowance, extra floating holidays, free fancy drinks
    - The company has been around for awhile now so it's pretty stable and efficient

Cons

- Seems like getting ahead is difficult. It's very corporate in that way. There seems to be a lot of middle management positions. I don't know what all those people do.
    - The culture is pretty dull. Perhaps in the past it was more exciting and energetic, but now it seems cliquey and staid. As a new person, I didn't feel very welcomed. The pace seems slow to me. Not a very exciting place to work.
    - Pay is decent, but on the lower end
    - A lot of people have been there for a very long time. I wonder if that is a good thing or a bad thing. New blood, new ideas, new energy....
    - My manager doesn't really advocate for me or mentor me. I feel left on my own to navigate a relatively large and somewhat closed off culture.

Clem made a habit of talking to and getting to know all employees. He made himself approachable. I don't get that feeling from most of the rest of the senior team. Be approachable and help ALL employees feel that their input is valuable, not just the people with seniority or in product and marketing. The next great idea could come from anyone.

An overall solid experience

I worked at Hotwire for more than 5 years

Pros

The best thing about working here has to be the subject matter -- travel. As an employee you get great travel perks and are encouraged to use them. As for day-to-day enjoyment, it all depends on your team here, and which manager is either making your life amazing or miserable. I loved my immediate team members -- great repor in and out of work, collaborative, supportive. Clear reporting structure where I felt comfortable addressing any issues or concerns with management.

Cons

Career/compensation growth can be slow. My biggest issues came from specific individuals that were hired over the years that I had difficulty working with, which can of course happen anywhere. Also, I felt a lot more warmth/fun/connection in the Hotwire culture than by the time I left. It felt like the culture was shifting to a less happy place.

There are newer employer reviews for Hotwire

Worked for Hotwire? Contribute to the Community!