Hotwire

Working at Hotwire Made Me More Intelligent

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire

Pros

Sounds weird to say, but I really do feel smarter since I started working at Hotwire. My colleagues are incredibly bright and creative -- they challenge my brain every single day. Sharp cookies, all of them.

At the same time, they take their jobs very seriously, but they don't take themselves too seriously. It’s not an ego-driven culture. People just focus on executing well, and it does get acknowledged. Things get crunched sometimes, but generally we are given the resources -- and are expected to make the effort -- to build it right the first time.

People are genuinely enthusiastic about the company and the products. Colleagues are supportive and encouraging of each other. It's true what everyone else said about the quality-of-life culture, the parties, and so on. It feels good to work here, and senior management seems to be sincerely interested in keeping it that way.

Cons

Hotwire wouldn't be the best place for a hyperactive/novelty-seeking kind of personality. Because of its size and focus, there aren't endless opportunities to do vastly different things. The products are pretty mature, so it’s right now it’s mostly about evolution and incremental innovation.

With all these smart people around, things can get a bit wonkish. That's only a con if it's not really your style. For most people here, that's actually a pro.

The whole place is open-plan cubicle (upper management, too) which makes it social and accessible, but sometimes a bit distracting. Noise-canceling headphones are common. Luckily, Hotwire gave them out as holiday gifts last year!

Keep it up!

124 Other Employee Reviews for Hotwire (View Most Recent)

Best company I've worked for -- hands down.

Current Employee - Senior Producer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Producer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire

Pros

Unbelievable travel discounts to start. I've been able to take more trips, for far less money, and really have the work/life balance that I've always wanted in a job, but never had. Hotwire is a very casual place to work in regards to dress code and hours (9-5 most days). I feel comfortable in jeans and tennis shoes everyday. The president is fun/funny/approachable/down to earth/smart/realistic. Everyone around me is extremely smart and talented, which makes for an inspiring work environment. But in the same breath, everyone likes to have a good time. There are ALWAYS events and parties within the company, so you get to know your coworkers well. Hotwire recognizes talent and supports internal growth as much as possible. So great benefits, travel discounts, internal growth opportunities, and a casual/fun environment. Not to mention, we're still hiring, which is a great sign. It's truly the best company I've ever worked for.

Cons

I can't think of a lot of downsides to working at Hotwire. If I have to give one, I would say that they do the most work with the least amount of resources possible. But I don't really see that as a downside, but more about just being efficient.

Provide as much training and guidance for non-management employees to succeed and grow within the company. Make sure the employees are always challenged and growing as individuals.

A fun place to work

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hotwire

Pros

Great benefits, 3-4 weeks PTO, travel discounts, fun work culture, casual dress, fitness reimbursement
    A ton of social events: picnics, bowling, indian independence day...if you can name it, Hotwire is probably already planning a party for it
    Smart, inspiring coworkers
    Approachable executive management, who are also smart and inspiring

Cons

Long hours and poor employee moral in certain departments
    Painfully slow process to get anything accomplished
    Overly strategic, so much time is wasted on endless analysis, projections and planning
    Lack of innovation and risk taking can be frustrating at times

Promote within, give competitive raises, hire internally, cross-train. Provide career growth opportunities to your existing employees and they will feel less inclined to look elsewhere to grow their careers.

There are newer employer reviews for Hotwire