Hotwire

Proceed with caution

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Hotwire

Pros

Hotwire is a great company to work for depending on the department. There are certain departments within Hotwire that have a lot of turnover and it will be evident in the "downsides" section. However, depending on the department, I would recommend Hotwire. The company is fun, there are a lot of events planned outside of work that are great. The benefits are also really good. In addition, the company is very diverse with people working there from all over the world. That makes it a great place to work if you're looking for a job with diversity. Eric is a good motivator and visionary for the company.

Cons

The biggest downside is the culture of micro-management. It wasn't uncommon to have 10 to 13 rounds of revisions to a project before it was approved. And it seemed to permeate throughout the department so it wasn't even one person whose work needed constant revisions. Most people in the department experienced the same issue. This made it really hard to gain any momentum on projects and actually get stuff done. Too much time was spend nit-picking things that were purely aesthetic. In addition, there is a lot of turnover which is really bad for employee morale. I would also say the work/life balance is not there and there is a lot of overtime that is mandatory in order to stay ahead.

There is a big push to retain employees because of the high turnover rate. However, I don't think Management is really addressing the true issues. After speaking with colleagues, I found out that they felt similarly. One colleague said " I feel like my best is never good enough" and it is too stressful. I feel like until the real issues are addressed, the turnover will continue.

118 Other Employee Reviews for Hotwire (View Most Recent)

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire

Pros

Hotwire as a company has very good ethical values. Employees are treated with respect. Senior management does care about employees and always does it best to maintain the balance between employee's work and personal life. Hotwire has by far the best benefits package. Senior management is quite accessible to all the employees. Hotwire also gathers periodic feedback from the employees, understands the concerns and tries to address them as best as it can. Hotwire is also a good technology company. It always tries to use the latest and greatest technologies. Hotwire also tries to be innovative

Cons

Hotwire being part of a big public company doesn't get much attention even when it performs very well. Hotwire's performance doesn't seem to affect the overall performance of the company. The career growth for employees is not promising enough in Hotwire. People are kinda stuck at certain levels.

I think Senior Management can put more effort on career development prospects for the employees.

Every place has good points and bad ones. For me, Hotwire's good attributes outweigh its problems.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hotwire

Pros

The work-life balance is great at Hotwire. Performance is judged much more on what you do than on how long it takes to do it. Risk taking is encouraged, and good ideas are usually adopted in Hotwire's open atmosphere.

Cons

Not everyone is vested in the company. Some people care a lot about the success, while others are there collecting a paycheck. Almost all people do what is expected of them, but you really need to take some chances to make serious career progress. Even then, the company's size limits how many options are open at higher levels.

Sever the ties to Expedia. Expedia and Hotwire function in such different ways that the matrix structure rarely makes sense.

There are newer employer reviews for Hotwire