There are newer employer reviews for Hotwire

more unfair as time goes on and no innovtion

Current Employee - Hard Worker Never Getting Promoted
Current Employee - Hard Worker Never Getting Promoted

I have been working at Hotwire

Pros

Work life balance is good for the most part. Good vacation and extra bonus holidays sprinkled in there. The office is clean and the location is nice. If you are in the clique you can get some nice stock and bonus. At least that is what I hear....

Cons

Over time Hotwire has gotten more corporate and the culture has gotten very unfair in its promotions and transparency. Hotwire was my first 'non startup' job besides a small consulting job at a bank, and I came her to see what a mid sized company was like. Unfortunately the politics and policies are worse then at the bank I previously worked for. Here are some of the unfair things:

Promotions - A lot of the promotions are based on tenure and not productivity. Because of this some real rock stars have left over the last year or two

Transparency - Hotwire always talks about transparency. However this past review cycle (fall of 2010) a number of promotions were given and this was never communicated to the company. A number of these promotions are dubious as best and still have never been communicated.

Deadweight - There is a lot of deadweight here. Sadly these people keep moving up the ladder and create a self fulfilling prophecy of more deadweight.

Pay - The pay is below industry standard. Thus we lose the good people to other jobs. When startups are giving better salary/benefits these days something is wrong...

Get rid of the dead weight. There are so many people making 0 or negative contribution here. Let them go. When the vp of product leaves later this year hire externally and bring somebody to shake things up. The same with other big positions. Make people accountable.

LAYOFF - Use any 'bad market' period of time to lay off the slackers and reward those who do not work hard.

Remember you will never get anywhere when the good leave and the weak stay.

109 Other Employee Reviews for Hotwire (View Most Recent)

thanks for all the fish

I have been working at Hotwire

Pros

work/life balance. smart people. great benefits

Cons

small companies offer less career growth opportunities. pay is a bit below market.

find ways to retain strong performers

should give prozac to all new hires, that boring

Current Employee - A Senior Leader of Principal Players
    Current Employee - A Senior Leader of Principal Players

I have been working at Hotwire

Pros

- the office is clean and orderly
    - most people are not social so they do not annoy you much
    - you can get a nice view of coitus tower or china town depending on where you sit
    - they have free honest tea
    - you can yelp, facebook, myspace, etc almost all day and still get your work done
    - I have a boatload of stock and options that are keeping me here.
    - clem is a really good guy.

Cons

- so boring, all you think about is your life withering away
    - so many brainwashed middle-types who are afraid to do anything
    - so much fear in changing an ounce of anything, let alone a pound
    - in the years I have been here more good leave and the slackers stay
    - older employees who have been here have awesome pto policy, thus they stay
    - they very rarely fire anybody
    - in my dept nobody works remotely while in others they do freely

The other day I saw a hotwire ad on tv and it did not even register that I worked there. That is how disconnected I realized I was with this place. You go into the office and suddenly a dark cloud of depression hits you. then as you leave the veil of depression is gone. i am not expecting it to be like a wild 2000 startup where people are all partying and making out with each other but working at a 200 person company that moves at ibm speed leaves something to be desired. If it were not for a variety of stock option and rsu grants that I got I would never be staying at this place.

make it fun before every damn good employee leaves. they are going right from under you.

another option. fire half the company. do not add any new feature to the site for 1 years and see how things are. chances are you will have made the same money and spent half the salary.

quit being so pollyanish about stuff.

quit being so afraid to tie your own shoe!

There are newer employer reviews for Hotwire