dull.

I have been working at Hotwire

Pros

nice location if you like the city.
non confrontational environment.
family friendly if you want to have kids
clean office.

Cons

so boring
very tedious
very process oriented,
stifling environment, a "just do as your told" type attitude
rigid inflexible managers.

allow more innovation and new ideas. Don't be so rigid with respect to process. And you are in an industry that is becoming more commoditized.

Other Reviews for Hotwire

more unfair as time goes on and no innovtion

Current Employee - Hard Worker Never Getting Promoted
    Current Employee - Hard Worker Never Getting Promoted

I have been working at Hotwire

Pros

Work life balance is good for the most part. Good vacation and extra bonus holidays sprinkled in there. The office is clean and the location is nice. If you are in the clique you can get some nice stock and bonus. At least that is what I hear....

Cons

Over time Hotwire has gotten more corporate and the culture has gotten very unfair in its promotions and transparency. Hotwire was my first 'non startup' job besides a small consulting job at a bank, and I came her to see what a mid sized company was like. Unfortunately the politics and policies are worse then at the bank I previously worked for. Here are some of the unfair things:

Promotions - A lot of the promotions are based on tenure and not productivity. Because of this some real rock stars have left over the last year or two

Transparency - Hotwire always talks about transparency. However this past review cycle (fall of 2010) a number of promotions were given and this was never communicated to the company. A number of these promotions are dubious as best and still have never been communicated.

Deadweight - There is a lot of deadweight here. Sadly these people keep moving up the ladder and create a self fulfilling prophecy of more deadweight.

Pay - The pay is below industry standard. Thus we lose the good people to other jobs. When startups are giving better salary/benefits these days something is wrong...

Get rid of the dead weight. There are so many people making 0 or negative contribution here. Let them go. When the vp of product leaves later this year hire externally and bring somebody to shake things up. The same with other big positions. Make people accountable.

LAYOFF - Use any 'bad market' period of time to lay off the slackers and reward those who do not work hard.

Remember you will never get anywhere when the good leave and the weak stay.

thanks for all the fish

I have been working at Hotwire

Pros

work/life balance. smart people. great benefits

Cons

small companies offer less career growth opportunities. pay is a bit below market.

find ways to retain strong performers

There are newer employer reviews for Hotwire.

Worked for Hotwire? Contribute to the Community!