There are newer employer reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Great product, great people, but little room for career growth.

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Smart, professional co-workers, all dedicated to making a great product that they believe in.

Cons

After five years of merger turmoil, declining sales, layoffs and now coming out of Chapter 11, the resulting smaller workforce is overqualified with little chance for advancement or career growth.

314 Other Employee Reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (View Most Recent)

With the new leadership team onboard, it's a new--and much better--place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The leaders have a clear vision of where the company should go, explain it well, and have the drive and abiility to get it done.

Cons

Some mid-level executives are resisting the move to digital but that will soon pass.

Focus on the future, show us the way, and don't be distracted by the naysayers.

I love this place but I am not the right fit for the company

Current Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people are fantastic and are more than willing to help you anyway that they can. The pay is good but the true value in working here as an intern is the experience.

Cons

This is a personal preference but sitting all day is KILLER. It took no time for me to realize that I am not cut out for a desk job. The ergonomics of this job are hard on the wrists and the back.

Absolutely nothing! This is a great place to work, as long as you can deal with a sedentary work environment!

There are newer employer reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt