Temp/Contract (assistant, entry-level)

Current Contractor - Assistant in Boston, MA
Current Contractor - Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

If I could I would work here full time since I have had the privilege of working with a great team of people, and I think HMH is really trying to work toward giving their employees what they want. My opinion can only come from the view of a Temp, but my experience has been rewarding thus far.

Cons

Again, from a Temp perspective it is not the ideal position to be in. The pay is not bad, but it could be better and Temps are not eligible for HMH benefits, instead everything is sourced through an outside vendor. Not eligible for paid time off or vacation or anything like that. In this regard the position could be better, been told there is no chance for permanent hiring.

Other Employee Reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Sadly, not great - could have been amazing

Current Employee - Designer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Designer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are a lot of smart creative people deep within the ranks. Dedicated employees who really want to company to be successful. Pretty good benefits. Holding hope for new CEO.

Cons

Too many nonessential positions that lead to internal breakdowns in innovation, change and new ideas. Exploration of new directions are not rewarded, but rather jealously suppressed or stolen because of the basic instability of this company. NO career advancement opportunities. Too many former educators with antiquated notions of learning and zero experience in leadership.

Advice to Management

Take a very close look at your staffing, there are many folks who are laying low, seemingly walking about with purpose, milking the company's traveling and expenses, but not contributing and moving us forward. Worse they are stifling folks who they see as a threat. Good employees are afraid to speak out about poor business practices for fear of retribution. Offer employees an on-going opportunity to submit ideas, or report on defects anonymously - the revelations will be astonishing. The title of VP is meaningless because you have so many. Stop rewarding teams with food - we want $.

Chaos!!!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are truly wonderful to work with and many have worked at HMH for over 10 years. Pay is on target with position.

Cons

The company is in chaos. Just got out of Bankruptcy and things arent any better. Very mixed messages from executive leadership.

Advice to Management

Fix morale. Employees are depressed.