Temp/Contract (assistant, entry-level)

Current Employee - Assistant  in  Boston, MA
Current Employee - Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

If I could I would work here full time since I have had the privilege of working with a great team of people, and I think HMH is really trying to work toward giving their employees what they want. My opinion can only come from the view of a Temp, but my experience has been rewarding thus far.

Cons

Again, from a Temp perspective it is not the ideal position to be in. The pay is not bad, but it could be better and Temps are not eligible for HMH benefits, instead everything is sourced through an outside vendor. Not eligible for paid time off or vacation or anything like that. In this regard the position could be better, been told there is no chance for permanent hiring.

Other Reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Great product, great people, but little room for career growth.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Smart, professional co-workers, all dedicated to making a great product that they believe in.

Cons

After five years of merger turmoil, declining sales, layoffs and now coming out of Chapter 11, the resulting smaller workforce is overqualified with little chance for advancement or career growth.

With the new leadership team onboard, it's a new--and much better--place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for more than a year

Pros

The leaders have a clear vision of where the company should go, explain it well, and have the drive and abiility to get it done.

Cons

Some mid-level executives are resisting the move to digital but that will soon pass.

Focus on the future, show us the way, and don't be distracted by the naysayers.

There are newer employer reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Worked for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt? Contribute to the Community!