Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

There are newer employer reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Great Experiences as an Independent Contractor

Former Employee - Many in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Many in Orlando, FL

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked with various teams at this company taking on many different roles in doing so, from production to project management. Almost every person I have worked with was professional and courteous. Others were Amazing at their jobs and great people. They offer challenging deadlines and decent pay.

Cons

The company is always in flux and so everyone lives in fear of being in the next round of lay-offs. Real talent gets let go while those who "play the game" but really contribute little hang on. Independent contractors who have hopes of getting full time work can pretty much give that dream up.

Value what is valuable, promote from within. Do not expect hiring all your top brass from other companies to fix your problems. It hasn't for the over 20 years that you have been doing business in Florida. Reward innovation and good work.

321 Other Employee Reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (View Most Recent)

Temp/Contract (assistant, entry-level)

Current Employee - Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

If I could I would work here full time since I have had the privilege of working with a great team of people, and I think HMH is really trying to work toward giving their employees what they want. My opinion can only come from the view of a Temp, but my experience has been rewarding thus far.

Cons

Again, from a Temp perspective it is not the ideal position to be in. The pay is not bad, but it could be better and Temps are not eligible for HMH benefits, instead everything is sourced through an outside vendor. Not eligible for paid time off or vacation or anything like that. In this regard the position could be better, been told there is no chance for permanent hiring.

Sadly, not great - could have been amazing

Current Employee - Designer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Designer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are a lot of smart creative people deep within the ranks. Dedicated employees who really want to company to be successful. Pretty good benefits. Holding hope for new CEO.

Cons

Too many nonessential positions that lead to internal breakdowns in innovation, change and new ideas. Exploration of new directions are not rewarded, but rather jealously suppressed or stolen because of the basic instability of this company. NO career advancement opportunities. Too many former educators with antiquated notions of learning and zero experience in leadership.

Take a very close look at your staffing, there are many folks who are laying low, seemingly walking about with purpose, milking the company's traveling and expenses, but not contributing and moving us forward. Worse they are stifling folks who they see as a threat. Good employees are afraid to speak out about poor business practices for fear of retribution. Offer employees an on-going opportunity to submit ideas, or report on defects anonymously - the revelations will be astonishing. The title of VP is meaningless because you have so many. Stop rewarding teams with food - we want $.

There are newer employer reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt