Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

www.hmhco.com

Still some very big problem

Editor (Current Employee)

ProsSmart and talented workers who care about product quality.

ConsThe Project Management team is a joke. Rather than adding real expertise and organization, their schedules are full of unrealistic deadlines. When those deadlines are not met, the employees are accused of making excuses, even though the work cannot be accomplished working 15 hour days.

A new digital program is an absolute mess, with editors from all disciplines hijacked to work on content about which they know nothing. Upper level PMO, with little knowledge of content, is allowed to make content decisions. Because PMO is full of grifters and liars at the upper level, the senior management team is completely bamboozled into believing whatever nonsense PMO spouts off. This new program is consequently horrendous. I believe that senior management is trying to improve the company, but they are listening to the wrong people.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the opinions of all employees be measured equally and don't punish the workers based on the large personality of a sycophant.

Transition

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Pros: Excellent, professional colleagues who are hard-working people, but constant changes… Cons: Company is still in transition trying to deide what their… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Managers? Directors? VP's?

Trade (Current Employee) Boston, MA

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for less than a year

Pros: You can coast for as long as you want. Managers/Directors/VP's… Cons: Some of the dumbest Managers/Directors/VP's. Advice to Senior Management: Keep doing what you are doing. I'm one of many… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Worked for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt? Contribute to the Community!