There are newer employer reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Still some very big problem

Current Employee - Editor
Current Employee - Editor

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart and talented workers who care about product quality.

Cons

The Project Management team is a joke. Rather than adding real expertise and organization, their schedules are full of unrealistic deadlines. When those deadlines are not met, the employees are accused of making excuses, even though the work cannot be accomplished working 15 hour days. A new digital program is an absolute mess, with editors from all disciplines hijacked to work on content about which they know nothing. Upper level PMO, with little knowledge of content, is allowed to make content decisions. Because PMO is full of grifters and liars at the upper level, the senior management team is completely bamboozled into believing whatever nonsense PMO spouts off. This new program is consequently horrendous. I believe that senior management is trying to improve the company, but they are listening to the wrong people.

Advice to Management

Let the opinions of all employees be measured equally and don't punish the workers based on the large personality of a sycophant.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Transition

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Pros

Excellent, professional colleagues who are hard-working people, but constant changes have taken a toll on morale.

Cons

Company is still in transition trying to deide what their "sweet-spot" is.

Wonderful beginning...horrific end

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, company vehicle, home office, nice benefits

Cons

Top heavy management, constant fear of job loss, constant reorganization.

Advice to Management

My first word of advice is regarding the reorganization that occurred in 2012. You can't blame your reps and consultants for not being able to make a sale while the company is in bankruptcy. I mean seriously, what school district would invest thousands or even millions in product for a company that may or may not be around. I have seen managers blame reps for events that are clearly out of their control. Upper management needs to handle damage control along with the reps and consultants. You also can't possibly believe that drafting a letter explaining a reorganization will help you in making sales. You need to have your senior management do a better job of assisting those out in the field. My second piece of advice is that in my years with the organization, I have seen many employees come and go. You are truly getting it wrong. You're letting the wrong people go and allowing the wrong people to stay. I have seen hardworking and dedicated sales reps and consultants walk right out of this organization, voluntarily and involuntarily. You have PMP's so upper management can rate employees, however, who is rating upper management? Take a look around, if you have quality employees leaving your organization and your business has not improved, you have probably let the wrong people go. Lastly, you still have some great hardworking people with your organization. Don't think that because they are struggling with their numbers they aren't working. You need to work with your people not against them.