There are newer employer reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

I worked at HMH for 11 years and in general, it was a good place to work.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The product is something to be proud of

Cons

Not enough room for advancement

Other Employee Reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Coerced! Exploiting fear and anxiety in Employee's.

Current Employee - Management in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Management in Boston, MA

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A Job, A Pay check, and Benefits. "You don't like here? There's the door Policy.. Employees are the employers mercy and "Yes" you have us over a barrel.

Cons

Management is disrespectful and bullies employees. Subordinates are threatened by potential loss of employment. Leadership team gossips with other leadership members in presents of coworkers and subordinates. Employees are coerced into joining the banter and adhering to the negative remarks. Not all leadership members agree with the antics of leadership. Recent layoffs reflect a prejudice towards mature workers and women. Upper management known for making negative remarks about height, weight, regional dialect, education level, life style choice, and marital status.

Advice to Management

Current employed and recently unemployed managers are aware of the unethical work conditions in Adjacent Markets. Please poll both your employees and managers to report these unfair practices. We need an anonymous reporting line, HR team leaders are not known for trustworthiness and discretion. "If we believe a thing to be bad, and if we have a right to prevent it, it is our duty to try to prevent it.”

Still some very big problem

Current Employee - Editor
    Current Employee - Editor

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart and talented workers who care about product quality.

Cons

The Project Management team is a joke. Rather than adding real expertise and organization, their schedules are full of unrealistic deadlines. When those deadlines are not met, the employees are accused of making excuses, even though the work cannot be accomplished working 15 hour days. A new digital program is an absolute mess, with editors from all disciplines hijacked to work on content about which they know nothing. Upper level PMO, with little knowledge of content, is allowed to make content decisions. Because PMO is full of grifters and liars at the upper level, the senior management team is completely bamboozled into believing whatever nonsense PMO spouts off. This new program is consequently horrendous. I believe that senior management is trying to improve the company, but they are listening to the wrong people.

Advice to Management

Let the opinions of all employees be measured equally and don't punish the workers based on the large personality of a sycophant.