Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

www.hmhco.com

Coerced! Exploiting fear and anxiety in Employee's.

Management (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsA Job, A Pay check, and Benefits. "You don't like here? There's the door Policy.. Employees are the employers mercy and "Yes" you have us over a barrel.

ConsManagement is disrespectful and bullies employees. Subordinates are threatened by potential loss of employment. Leadership team gossips with other leadership members in presents of coworkers and subordinates. Employees are coerced into joining the banter and adhering to the negative remarks. Not all leadership members agree with the antics of leadership. Recent layoffs reflect a prejudice towards mature workers and women. Upper management known for making negative remarks about height, weight, regional dialect, education level, life style choice, and marital status.

Advice to Senior ManagementCurrent employed and recently unemployed managers are aware of the unethical work conditions in Adjacent Markets. Please poll both your employees and managers to report these unfair practices. We need an anonymous reporting line, HR team leaders are not known for trustworthiness and discretion.
"If we believe a thing to be bad, and if we have a right to prevent it, it is our duty to try to prevent it.”

2.5 years - still happy to work here

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for more than a year

Pros: I started working here during the O'Callahan administration and times were troubled. Once O'Callahan was replaced by current CEO, Linda Zecher, there's been a huge… Cons: If you give us free coffee, we will work harder,… Advice to Senior Management: Please support the free coffee movement. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good Start To My Career, But...

Associate Editor (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: I started at Harcourt before they merged with Houghton Mifflin. I'd just graduated with a B.A. in English worked my way from assistant to assistant… Cons: In the slow times, there is literally nothing to do. For some, this might be great, getting paid to do nothing. For me, however, it… Advice to Senior Management: As with many companies, the lack of focus on career development hurts the long-term prospects of both the company and employee retention. The ones that… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Worked for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt? Contribute to the Community!