Love my company, not so much the parent company HMH

Current Employee - Production  in  Boston, MA
Current Employee - Production in Boston, MA

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I work for a subsidiary of HMH, not in Boston. At our company, management is top-notch and my colleagues across the board are the hardest working people in the business, bar none. This is the best place I've ever worked. Managers understand the importance of work-life balance and treat employees with respect. That said, when HMCo acquired Harcourt (and all the companies within that umbrella) things slowly changed, and not for the better.

Cons

- HMH management's top-down imposition of company values rather than looking around at the company's great values already in place

- Preoccupation with looking good/healthy to outsiders rather than taking the temperature of its workers--compensating employees fairly (e.g., asking employees to give and do more in their jobs but also to do volunteer work on top of it to make the company look good)

- Health care benefits are hardly that. Like a lot of companies that are self-insured, employees are stuck with higher premiums (this year 8%) but rarely get more than a 2-3% cost of living increase

- Asking more and more of dedicated employees but not giving anything back in return

Compensate your greatest assets--your employees--more equitably. Supply more budget money for newer, faster computers and software so we can do our jobs.

Other Reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Great employees!!

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with and positive outlook

Cons

Delivery of products, broken promises on technology usage

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse...

Current Employee - Used to BE Called An Editor  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Used to BE Called An Editor in Orlando, FL

Pros

My coworkers are awesome people who work hard for little reward.

Cons

There are marked disparities between the people who do the work and the people who sit all day in meetings (which is nearly have of the staff). There continues to be little concern for the sheer number of night and weekend hours people are forced to work because staff members keep being cut. Few reasons not to leave and look for jobs elsewhere as we are not valued here!

Hello? Hello? Is anybody up there in the management stratosphere? It's us... the worker bees. Hi. Nice to finally meet you! Please acknowledge we are here and give us some physical and monetary support, or else we are switching hives.

There are newer employer reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Worked for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt? Contribute to the Community!