Worst Internship of my Life

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Geneva, IL
Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Geneva, IL

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about this internship was quitting and moving on to a REAL internship.

Cons

They totally lied about the internship position and told me it was going to be a "marketing" internship. It was basically a telelmarketing internship. 40hrs a week, all summer long. They were also so stingy about paying us, we got unpaid 30 min lunches so our days were from 7:30am till 4pm. If we were 1 minute late, we had to stay an extra minute at the end of the day. Felt like I was in bootcamp or something. All we had to do was call school districts and ask what tests they offerered their students. Pretty simply and mundane right? I got "fired" (even though actually I had quit first) because I was texting on my phone too much. Pretty sure I can handle reading off a script with a headset on while texting! Anyway, my supervisor had the audacity to tell me to work my last 2 hours unpaid in order to make up for all my time wasted while texting. At that moment, I knew she was on crack and thus I took my talents elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Don't treat interns like they're parolees. Lighten up a bit, it won't kill you!

Other Employee Reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Upper management needs improvement

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and ability to work from home occasionally; dedicated employees

Cons

Poor communication from upper level management. Decision makers have lost sight of their customers.

Advice to Management

Have more respect for you employees. Adjust your focus back to your customers (I.e. school children).

In a State of Flux

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good variety of product offerings that are widely used and respected in the educational community. Dedicated staff at lower levels. Good benefits and salary in keeping with industry averages.

Cons

Management doesn't show respect for employee knowledge. Micromanagement and disrespect of employees runs rampant. Incessant restructuring makes it challenging for customers and customer support to know who the territory contact is. Rules change constantly regarding territory assignments and customer focus making it challenging to get accurate sales data.

Advice to Management

Put value in employees and their areas of expertise. Value their input. Be honest about company direction. Hire mid-level management that cares about its customers and employees.