There are newer employer reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Worst Internship of my Life

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Geneva, IL
Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Geneva, IL

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The best thing about this internship was quitting and moving on to a REAL internship.

Cons

They totally lied about the internship position and told me it was going to be a "marketing" internship. It was basically a telelmarketing internship. 40hrs a week, all summer long. They were also so stingy about paying us, we got unpaid 30 min lunches so our days were from 7:30am till 4pm. If we were 1 minute late, we had to stay an extra minute at the end of the day. Felt like I was in bootcamp or something. All we had to do was call school districts and ask what tests they offerered their students. Pretty simply and mundane right? I got "fired" (even though actually I had quit first) because I was texting on my phone too much. Pretty sure I can handle reading off a script with a headset on while texting! Anyway, my supervisor had the audacity to tell me to work my last 2 hours unpaid in order to make up for all my time wasted while texting. At that moment, I knew she was on crack and thus I took my talents elsewhere.

Don't treat interns like they're parolees. Lighten up a bit, it won't kill you!

307 Other Employee Reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (View Most Recent)

Software Engineer

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people. Great opportunity to shine on high visibility projects. Lots of potential to make a difference in product, technology stack and tools for making process flow better.

Cons

Not enough free food. Not enough close restaurants to office. Office is too small, need more privacy pertaining to focus and such.

Trust your people, they will help you succeed. You've done a great job so far, let us help you do better.

While a leader in educational publishing, HMH is not on top of technology trends..

Current Employee - Inside Sales Support  in  Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Support in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Working as a team to find solutions for the customer's needs. The variety of tasks to be accomplished during the day.

Cons

Lack of communication between upper management and those who have to implement procedures and directives.

There are newer employer reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Worked for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt? Contribute to the Community!