Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

www.hmhco.com
There are newer employer reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Glad I left

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers and made some long-term friendships along the way. Many of these friends have also left. Some remain.

Cons

After the new CEO came on board, things changed quickly and not for the best. They lost sight of their market to compete in the world of technology, when the reality is their technical branch is not agile or responsive to change. I saw clients promised things that could not be delivered and when I saw things were not going to get better, my opinions/expertise were not valued, I simply resigned. Best decision I ever made.

Concentrate on content and develop it to exist in the new market.

330 Other Employee Reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (View Most Recent)

Worst Internship of my Life

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Geneva, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Geneva, IL

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about this internship was quitting and moving on to a REAL internship.

Cons

They totally lied about the internship position and told me it was going to be a "marketing" internship. It was basically a telelmarketing internship. 40hrs a week, all summer long. They were also so stingy about paying us, we got unpaid 30 min lunches so our days were from 7:30am till 4pm. If we were 1 minute late, we had to stay an extra minute at the end of the day. Felt like I was in bootcamp or something. All we had to do was call school districts and ask what tests they offerered their students. Pretty simply and mundane right? I got "fired" (even though actually I had quit first) because I was texting on my phone too much. Pretty sure I can handle reading off a script with a headset on while texting! Anyway, my supervisor had the audacity to tell me to work my last 2 hours unpaid in order to make up for all my time wasted while texting. At that moment, I knew she was on crack and thus I took my talents elsewhere.

Don't treat interns like they're parolees. Lighten up a bit, it won't kill you!

Upper management needs improvement

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and ability to work from home occasionally; dedicated employees

Cons

Poor communication from upper level management. Decision makers have lost sight of their customers.

Have more respect for you employees. Adjust your focus back to your customers (I.e. school children).

There are newer employer reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt