Good place to work

Current Employee - Director
Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Pros

People and relationships
Freedom to build up your skills and grow
Talent development is encouraged
Number one K-12 publisher, so plenty of pressure to innovate

Cons

Benefits package is not great and is deteriorating
Plenty of people who occupy posts without adding any value

Reward your talent

Other Reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Was a great place to work.

Former Employee - Sles Representative
    Former Employee - Sles Representative

I worked at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Pros

Worked with smart, professional people.

Cons

Hard work is not always appreciated

Don't let talented people go!!

Remarkable Drop in Morale

I have been working at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Pros

Although there is considerable cross-office conflict since the merger of Houghton Mifflin and Harcourt, the staff within my office are still pleasant and considerate for the most part, and I've had some good encounters with people at other sites. There are many fine, caring, and interesting people who work here.

Cons

The takeover of Houghton Mifflin by Riverdeep and its merger with Harcourt were ill-conceived, and the execution has been a series of fiascos. Corporate communication is awful. Senior management (consisting mostly of former consultants and turnaround experts) is obsessed about gathering data, but they don't have the publishing expertise to interpret the data correctly. Management just doesn't understand the business; they treat highly skilled professionals like they are hamburger line workers at McDonalds. It's such a waste. Houghton used to have remarkably high morale, and my main complaint was that there was little chance for promotion because most staffers stayed in their jobs until retirement. But now everyone I know would leave if they had the chance. Those that do get job offers elsewhere don't hesitate to accept them.

I give you credit for trying to reform the company's disfunctional processes, but take care not to make the problems even worse. Stop trying to apply cookie-cutter business practices developed for very different industries. You have often said that the company's employees are its greatest assets; you need to think really hard about what that statement means and how to nurture those assets, not drive them away.

There are newer employer reviews for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Worked for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt? Contribute to the Community!