Poor.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Small deal teams. Model experience for analyst, not just pitchbooks. No one really watching analyst intil it's too late.

Cons

"Expendible" attitude with analysts. Some teams only have one analyst so your always slammed with work. Low pay:work ratio.

Advice to Management

Beware of how Associates, Directors and VP's treat the Analysts. The team is only as strong as its weakest link.

Other Employee Reviews for Houlihan Lokey

They don't pay well

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good for resume for middle mkt pe firms

Cons

Small deals, lots of fairness opiios, leadership lacks tru i-banking experience

Advice to Management

Replace mgmt with real i-bankers

Love the experience at HLHZ; not as fond of the senior/officer level management

Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

I worked at another investment bank, prior to working at Houlihan Lokey, and I found myself pleasantly surprised. The work culture at HLHZ was alot more collegial and friendly, then at my prior experience; also, the caliber of my peer group was significantly higher, just in terms of analytical adeptness and general understanding of finance. The projects were very interesting; HLHZ is a top shop, in terms of its restructuring and M&A client list, so I was able to work on exciting engagements. Also, deal teams are very lean. All things considered, I am very happy to have finished my analyst career at Houlihan Lokey.

Cons

Although my peer group was very impressive in caliber, I was very unimpressed with MDs and VPs, not so much in their attitude towards work, but with their intelligence and general ability to grasp deal points, manage expectations with clients, and get a quick understanding of an engagement. It almost seemed as if there was a disproportionate of both analysis and check placed on the Analysts and Associates on a given deal team. This made for a good experience, personally; however, deals were often executed in a sub-optimal fashion due to this senior level incompetence. I am not sure why this is; it is not an indication of everyone. Out of 5 MDs and 7 or 8 VPs I worked with on a regular basis, probably 2 MDs and 4 VPs fit this mold, of generally being just terribly inefficient and unable to keep up with the quantitative/analytical intricacies of a deal process. Also, the pay is not tied to bank performance, it is tied to street performance, although this is standard at the junior level.

Advice to Management

1) Review finance 101, 2) Review management 101; learn finance, and learn to manage clients. Or ask your analysts/associates to do it for you, they are by and large significantly better educated, and tend to be far more competent.