There are newer employer reviews for Houston Community Newspapers

Stay Away!

Former Employee - Classified Inside Sales in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Classified Inside Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at Houston Community Newspapers

Pros

Good benefits, decent co-workers, free parking, community newspapers may have a future in a dying industry, open to feedback from employees

Cons

Managers are busy bodies who gossip and pit employees against each other, poor pay, inadequate training and development for new employees.

Pay experienced people more, spend a little money to make money by promoting the papers in the community, hire experienced newspaper managers

reviews filtered by
  1. Very Good company to work for

I have been working at Houston Community Newspapers

Pros

I have been with this company 5 years and the current owners for 2 1/2.
    There is a very large difference between the current management staff and the old management staff.
    The current management staff cares! Yes, they expect everyone to do their job, they push employees to do their best at all times, but don't all company's do that.
     I feel sorry for the employees that gripe about every little thing they can, they should look elsewhere for a job, every employer has rules. I personally can't stand listening to those type of co-workers. I avoid being around them. I have worked for 4 different company's in Houston and there always seems to be a few whiners. This company has worked hard to rebuild a company that was going down hill. I am lucky to have a good group of co-workers to work with, most are willing to help at all times and also care deeply about each other. it is a friendly place to work. This company does a lot of promoting from within, I know of at least 3 promotions this year. Each year they have a special day for all the employees, 1013 day, it is a day of fun and really good food usually held at a place like Main Event, with games and team building activities. It is great to meet all the employees, there are multiple offices within the company and until 1013 took over I had never met some people at other offices, I talked to them on the phone for years but never met. them.
    Overall I think it is a great place to work with good leadership and desires to make it a good company.

Cons

Benefits aren't great, insurance rates are high, especially for a family. Singles rate isn't too bad.
    My husbands employers rates are very close to our rates.
    Pay is a little lower than some company's in Houston for comparable jobs.

work on pay and benefits, add some benefits like disability insurance and 401k.

2. Good Place to Work

I have been working at Houston Community Newspapers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone at this company works hard and puts in the effort to get work done and that includes managers. The company appreciates its employees and does what it can to remind employees of that. Most managers make an attempt to thank and praise us. Once a year the company does an employee appreciation day where it is a paid day for us and we go play games, eat and drink. They are flexible with schedules and understanding and supportive about uncontrollable circumstances. The newspaper was purchased a a few years back and since then the work environment has completely changed from the corporate lifestyle it used to be This is a pleasant place to work if you are willing and eager to work.

Cons

Work loads can be a lot at times and this requires some planning. Yes there are a few debbie downers but you would find that at any job

Most managers have an open door policy but maybe they should actively seek out employees opinions and ideas.

There are newer employer reviews for Houston Community Newspapers