Houston Methodist

There are newer employer reviews for Houston Methodist

Staff RN, Operating Room

Former Employee - RN, OR in Houston, TX
Former Employee - RN, OR in Houston, TX

I worked at Houston Methodist full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Taught some really good nurses

Cons

Poor management. Not enough staff. Incompetent coworkers. Poor pay

Pay more money. Too much overtime. Be fair

145 Other Employee Reviews for Houston Methodist (View Most Recent)

Unprofessional Management and HR

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Houston Methodist full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you follow the leader, go to happy hours, gossip with your 'boss' then you will have a job.

Cons

HR / Management is a joke. Surveys mandatory but be careful what you say. Childish company wide programs and you are told what to say to patients. "my pleasure" was mandatory . Management plays favorites and helps to railroad the targeted employee that doesn't play the game. I saw it over and over, good people set up by the 'girl gangs' . HR helps set up the employee to make sure that they can be fired if they don't walk away. Medical staff accepts high dollar gifts which is against policy but if you are in the 'cliche' it doesn't matter.

Hire Professionals and complete Exit interviews. Listen to what is going on .

3 year employee - Look somewhere else for a job unless you're coming in as management or an MD

Current Employee - Administration in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administration in Houston, TX

I have been working at Houston Methodist full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits are better than with most places and it's great resume padding, but that's negated by subpar compensation ... and don't bother asking for more money ... you will get excessive attitude and half insults in return from hr ... they will try to tell you that the subpar comp is balanced out by incentive programs, but all of them are drops in a bucket designed to make you feel like you're making more money when in fact you're making less than you could be somewhere else.

Cons

trust EVERYTHING NEGATIVE you read: working here is like working behind the scenes at Disney World. the culture is fake and mandatory. failure to comply (my pleasure / I CARE Values) can lead to your termination. the nursing staff feels grossly neglected and under paid, as do most non-MD / non-management staff and the organization is well aware of it. the comp structure is set up to protect the hospital against a lawsuit / complaints and not around finding competitive compensation for an employee ... only what they will argue is adequate. you will most likely either be micromanaged or under managed ... either way it'll make you want to leave. it is an organization built on perpetuating a lie. patients may receive great care and they may be leading medicine, but it's at great cost.

I genuinely believe upper management is so gone that it isn't worth offering advice ... you have encountered a fatal groupthink problem that is hardwired into your culture. You may succeed in continuing to rise to the top, but only in the way a survivor in a mob does ... by standing on the battered and broken bodies of those you have pushed to the ground in an effort to stay alive. I hope you enjoy being the best in the industry. I'm only hitching a ride for as long as my soul can take it.

There are newer employer reviews for Houston Methodist