Houston Zoo

www.houstonzoo.org

A Good Idea Wasted

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

I like the fact that this organization puts a lot of resources into its stated missions involving conservation and education about the natural world. Most of the people who work there seem genuinely in love with their work with the animals and committed to the organization's goals. Lots of smart, joyful, talented people there.

Cons

The politics are frightful--asking questions is like walking through a minefield. Many of the people in mid-management whose work does not involve the animals do not seem to even like or be interested in the natural world, which makes me wonder why they work at the zoo. Also they drive us like slaves. Everything must always be faster and faster, longer hours with pressure to clock out early but stay late. Any mistakes are treated with a heavy hand and threats to your job. Double binds are the leadership style, and the rules shift like sand.

Please provide some consistency, rules, regular feedback, and a reason to relax and enjoy working in such a wonderful place. It's no fun going in every day with no clue, no direction, no plan. It's tough to only have your boss talk to you if you mess up, especially when you were carrying out something they asked you to do. Please do not threaten us with job loss at the first go if honest, fixable mistakes are made. Pizza parties are not motivators--recognition is. A simple, sincere "good job" is all that is needed.

Other reviews for Houston Zoo

Workplace in Transition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

People who understand the mission live and breathe it in their personal and professional lives. This is an organization with so much potential which attracts talent.

Cons

Unrealized potential - or at least it is taking root very slowly. Too much turnover, especially in upper management. Talent is easily attracted, but rarely stays for long.

You might wish to invest more sincerely and thoroughly in your workforce talent. A less subjective review process would reward those who deserve it.

Not many people enjoy working there.

Current Employee - Technician I
    Current Employee - Technician I

Pros

There are no words to describe how terrible this place is to work at.

Cons

Low pay, low moral, low incentive, poor management abilities.

I would offer better pay, with more effective management.

There are newer employer reviews for Houston Zoo.

Worked for Houston Zoo? Contribute to the Community!