Howard County General Hospital

There are newer employer reviews for Howard County General Hospital

Fantastic under the current President

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Howard County General Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very Friendly & Family-like atmosphere. Committed to Service and Excellent care. Vic encourages us to have our family members apply for jobs because he knows that makes the place stronger.

Cons

It can be hard to move to another dept. unless the job duty is the same.
Because it is a hospital - even admin staff cannot wear open toe shoes or perfume.

The President: Vic, is great and friendly and willing to hear anything -- plus he remembers all of our names! Some of the others -- the VP's, can be condesending and think only their opinions are valued and best. Can feel dismissive.

9 Other Employee Reviews for Howard County General Hospital (View Most Recent)

RN's are treated like trash

Current Employee - REG NURSE in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - REG NURSE in Columbia, MD

Pros

Have never seen employees who work so hard. Nurses and PCT's are friendly, helpful. Great team work! Employees bend over backwards for patients. Union in place for RN's. Caring for the sick is my passion and it is great to see patient's health improve and go home. Some new buildings, alot of waterfalls and fresh paint. Looks like a hotel.

Cons

Poor salary, staffing short ALL the time compromising patient care and safety. If you decide to work here, be prepared to do the work of MANY without recognition and then intimidated by management to take on even more. Not uncommon to see employees punch out and keep working off the clock, skipping meals (unpaid) and bathroom breaks, in order to meet management demands. Management says they are aware of this, yet nothing is done about adjusting patient load. Hospital runs on Press Ganey scores, eg patient satisfaction is the # 1 priority, more important than appropriate care. 30 cents an hour raise, if you are lucky, for working like a dog. RN's be prepared to do alot of tech work every day (yes this means cleaning up poo and changing beds, but better do it with a smile and get your medicine out on time or you will be called into talk with management.

Work ONE day, (a full 13 hour day without breaks) on the floor alongside a PCT or RN. If you survive, you will understand what I wrote above. Otherwise, keep your head buried in the sand and your ass in a comfortable office chair while the rest of us are on the front line caring for the sick and dying.

Run away!!! This is an awful place to work, let alone bring your family members!!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Columbia, MD

I worked at Howard County General Hospital

Pros

It is affiliated with Johns Hopkins, but do not be fooled!

Cons

The skill-set of both doctors and nurses are extremely poor!!

Focus on the safety of the patients and not turning place into a resort as a priority. Patients deserve safety.

There are newer employer reviews for Howard County General Hospital