a prestigious place

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Boston, MA

I have been working at Howard Hughes Medical Institute

Pros

HHMI PIs are the most accomplished PIs in biology and has plenty of money to spend on research. HHMI also provides great benefit for postdocs.

Cons

Frankly I don't see any downside working for HHMI. Maybe some of the PIs have too much ego and are difficult to deal with?

Advice to Management

Great institute! Keep doing your great job and I look forward to seeing greater achievement and greater growth and name recognition.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

HHMI offers basic science jobs with the perk of a prestigious name

Current Employee - Scientist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Scientist in New York, NY

I have been working at Howard Hughes Medical Institute

Pros

HHMI is a very prestigious name in the Medical Sciences field. This will no doubt be a boon to building a resume that will help to land that coveted post-graduate job. Compensation is better than average for non-profit research, but is not up to par with the money being made by those who go into the Biotech realm. Benefits were not offered for this postion, but a travel stipend was provided and I was given weekly food allowances. In general, the laboratories were modern and stocked with mostly new equipment. You are given almost an unlimited account for laboratory purchases.

Cons

As is the case with nearly all jobs in the Biomedical world, a Bachelors degree lone will not allow to advance through the ranks at HHMI. While the work atmosphere is generally positive, there are a fair amount of disgruntled employees - especially among the post-docs who were not offered grants and now work as glorified lab techs. In addition, the multi-ethnic nature of the work force can lead to frequent miscommunication and sometimes becomes unbearable. If you can, I would try to find employment in the biotech industry before considering a job at HHMI. In industry you will find that your research efforts are more concentrated than they are at HHMI.

Advice to Management

I would tell them to work toward a more efficient system and to provide more in the way of benefits for employees.

Review of an academic technician position

Former Employee - Research Technician II in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Research Technician II in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Howard Hughes Medical Institute

Pros

Working towards a noble cause with the brightest minds in the field.

Cons

Easy to be a victim of the rigid academic hierarchy.

Advice to Management

I have no knowledge of the workings of Senior Management.