Howard Hughes Medical Institute

www.hhmi.org
There are newer employer reviews for Howard Hughes Medical Institute

it is good

I have been working at Howard Hughes Medical Institute

Pros

the enviroment is very nice

Cons

people work too hard there.

82 Other Employee Reviews for Howard Hughes Medical Institute (View Most Recent)

Great if you're a scientist. Otherwise, I advise looking elsewhere.

Former Employee - Lab Coordinator in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Lab Coordinator in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Howard Hughes Medical Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful facility, highly intelligent employees, decent starting pay, great benefits.

Cons

Unless you are one of the scientists, you are not valued. You are basically expected to treat the Lab Heads like Gods. Even the Lab Heads who come in with good personalities soon learn the power they have and take full advantage of it - and become high maintenance prima donnas. There are no salary increases despite solid performance - or the inability to identify what wasn't solid about your performance. There are a ton of politics at play and you cannot trust anyone; even those you think are your friends. Too much drama and stress. Absolutely no reliable communication.

Stop taking home big paychecks for doing nothing more than delegating everything to those below you and then basically laughing at them while you get away with doing nothing. Treat all people with respect. Rules and policies shouldn't vary from one person to the other such that one person can do something and be praised for it and another person can do the same thing and be written up for it. Do a better job of weeding out the bad seeds in management roles....there are many and you are turning a blind eye to it.

Personality and values change

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Howard Hughes Medical Institute full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I am grateful for the great experience at this company and what it once was. I learned much and still draw upon those experiences. For most of my tenure it was a people-oriented place to work that encouraged innovation, hard work and work-life balance.

Cons

Personality and values have changed with new administration (as they do with new management) and many of those good attributes have been lost.

Focus on your people and relationships.

There are newer employer reviews for Howard Hughes Medical Institute