Huawei Technologies

www.huawei.com
  www.huawei.com
There are newer employer reviews for Huawei Technologies

A taste of the red curtain in America

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Huawei Technologies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Huawei is a large organization with alot of the typical beauracracy. I had previously worked in startups, and didn't realize the ability to "hide" in a large organization. I did my work and hit all my deadlines no problem, but I also came late, left early, and worked from home alot. I had a great relationship with my immediate supervisor, and he was very result-oriented, and not so worried about appearances (9-5 cube monkey).

Cons

I wasn't prepared for the level of security imposed. We were using windows machines with a massive amount of spyware (keyloggers, etc.) on them, that made actual development extremely slow and tedious. For example, compiling and deploying a 12 module project with a simple maven build that took 1 minute on a linux system took 8 minutes on these laptops. They also had an incredibly restrictive internet policy, no chats (which are certainly used for work purposes, right?), no embedded media in web pages, no google drive type apps, etc. No usb sticks. They were extremely concerned with code theft, to a degree I was unprepared for. I was told some of this is typical of large organizations, so maybe I'm just a startup guy.

Adjust corporate policies to silicon valley culture. Some things that may make sense in China were far too heavy handed for the bay area.

1092 Other Employee Reviews for Huawei Technologies (View Most Recent)

The projects are good, but the corporate culture is hard to get used to for employees outside China

I have been working at Huawei Technologies

Pros

We have many interesting projects. The management tries to catch up the technology trends so a lot of funding has been invested into the hot areas.

Cons

Chinese management style. The company used to follow those telecom giants like Cisco and Ericsson when it was small. But now as it has earned some leading positions in the market, it seems have no idea what it should follow in the future. As a company, it seems not having a clear view of what it wants to do. Or I would say, it wants to everything. Really, everything. It doesn't have a CTO office to make the plan for the company about what we should focus now. Every BU proposes their plans for those hot topics like cloud, virtualization, etc. Different teams from different BUs even compete with each other. As a result, many small groups are set up in the US R&D center to work on those hot projects. Each group may only have a couple of engineers in the US. Given the complexity of those projects, what do you expect from those engineers?

Great place to know New Technologies; great responsibilities

I worked at Huawei Technologies

Pros

Great new technologies
    Travel across the world
    More responsibilities
    Innovative work ideas
    Customer first attitude
    Good pay scales / recognition for good work

Cons

No much space for personal life, need to travel alone
    After all a telecom company, so work hours usually gets longer
    May have restrictions if you need to change to some other companies, they may not hire you

Work harder for a better brand value in the market
    Give more work incentives for achieving targets

There are newer employer reviews for Huawei Technologies