There are newer employer reviews for Hughes Communications

Pleasantly satisfied after many years.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Germantown, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Hughes Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The overall work environment and people are great. I have had a couple of opportunities here that I'm not sure would have been possible at other companies. My upper management is great as long as you get the job done they are not breathing down your neck or giving you busy work.

Cons

I feel as though the benefits have degraded over the past couple of years. Especially now that we have been bought by Echostar. Compensation I feel is a little low, although it's not so bad that I'm out looking for another job.

Stay the course. Start making a lot of changes and people tend to get uncomfortable and that's when they jump ship and you loose good folks.

90 Other Employee Reviews for Hughes Communications (View Most Recent)

Need to take better care of senior employees

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Hughes Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance is good.

Cons

Getting rid of older health plans in favor of a single HSA plan was not good. Could have provided more choices.

Compensation needs to be better to retain senior employees.

Wasn't so bad until the Echostar policies creeped in

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Hughes Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

No time clocks. Generally surrounded by bright people. High levels of diversity.

Cons

Super slow to advance technologies. Still using WinXP, Oracle9i, and many other well dated technologies. Not much excuse for this. Way too slow to embrace change. IT rarely considers impact before making changes.

The Echostar purchase now fully in effect decimated the benefits package. The benefits now could barely be described as "subpar". They pillaged the health insurance and made questionable moves with the 401k plans. Now only 10 days a year vacation for <6 year employees...though you finally get sick time of 5 days even though you used to get 15 days of vacation a year. Not seeing the balance and I've never had a job with so little vacation.

Go back to the original benefits. People might want to tolerate some of the other cons if they get that.

There are newer employer reviews for Hughes Communications

Worked for Hughes Communications? Contribute to the Community!