There are newer employer reviews for Hughes Communications

Pleasantly satisfied after many years.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Hughes Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The overall work environment and people are great. I have had a couple of opportunities here that I'm not sure would have been possible at other companies. My upper management is great as long as you get the job done they are not breathing down your neck or giving you busy work.

Cons

I feel as though the benefits have degraded over the past couple of years. Especially now that we have been bought by Echostar. Compensation I feel is a little low, although it's not so bad that I'm out looking for another job.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Start making a lot of changes and people tend to get uncomfortable and that's when they jump ship and you loose good folks.

Other Employee Reviews for Hughes Communications

1. Wasn't so bad until the Echostar policies creeped in

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Hughes Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No time clocks. Generally surrounded by bright people. High levels of diversity.

Cons

Super slow to advance technologies. Still using WinXP, Oracle9i, and many other well dated technologies. Not much excuse for this. Way too slow to embrace change. IT rarely considers impact before making changes. The Echostar purchase now fully in effect decimated the benefits package. The benefits now could barely be described as "subpar". They pillaged the health insurance and made questionable moves with the 401k plans. Now only 10 days a year vacation for <6 year employees...though you finally get sick time of 5 days even though you used to get 15 days of vacation a year. Not seeing the balance and I've never had a job with so little vacation.

Advice to Management

Go back to the original benefits. People might want to tolerate some of the other cons if they get that.

2. Innovative and stable company ith plenty of work available.

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Germantown, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Hughes Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Management let's you try new technology and are very supportive. No layoffs, probably because a lot of junior engineers leave after 4 or 5 years. No cubicles for more privacy.

Cons

Telecommuting is not allowed. Echo star has bought out Hughes. Everybody is worried about benefits becoming worse under Echostar. Promotions do not come easy.

Advice to Management

Promote and better pay the top junior programmers to retain them.