Hughes Network
www.hughes.com Germantown, MD 1000 to 5000 Employees

Used to be much better

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
Germantown, MD

I have been working at Hughes Network full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are ample opportunities for you to tinker with things in the lab. Management doesn't have a set of guidelines on how things should be done, so you have a lot of freedom to be creative, just like back in grad school. Sometimes, these new ideas lead to patentable inventions and other cool things. Also, work-life balance isn't too bad. I haven't had to work late or on weekends in at least 3 years.

ConsThe company is very top heavy. There are more managers than employees, or at least it seems. The younger engineers don't like this, because they don't get promoted, so they leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to re-balance your workforce. The company is losing too much young talent to keep this up. In a few years, all Hughes has left is management and fresh recruits. An entire generation of mid ranking engineers is gone.

Used to be a great place to work...Going down hill fast since EchoStar (Charlie Ergen) bought us.

Senior Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)
Germantown, MD

I have been working at Hughes Network full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Mostly a very positive “employee centric” work environment. You can present new ideans and tell the truth about results. Not at all a "do what… Cons: This year (2013) "Hughes" was forced to adopt EchoStar benefits. Took away all health care options: Only two options (No Health Insurance) or … Advice to Senior Management: The EchoStar explanation that recent changes in benefits and merits were necessary because “it’s a market trend” did absolutely nothing for morale and retention of… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great company environment

I have been working at Hughes Network full-time

Pros: Great company Environment , very friendly team and people Cons: The Management is not much appreciative of the employees Advice to Senior Management: Try to work on the people as well in addition… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Hughes Network.

Worked for Hughes Network? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hughes Network reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hughes Network CEO Pradman P. Kaul. All reviews posted anonymously by Hughes Network employees.